Chapter Sixteen - Dream Of Me To Keep You Safe.

Lennon.

Harry was injured yet he climbed the stairs, with a child attached to his hip faster than I could keep up, he was almost dragging me as we neared the top of the lavish staircase. His grip on my hand was tight I was sure the blood had stopped flowing through my fingers. The boy hanging off Harry started to scream at the top of his lungs. I didn't know what Harry was going to do, what he was thinking or feeling.  

Harry charged down the upstairs hallway, slamming every door open he came across. They were all empty besides the normal pieces of furniture. Until we reached the last room. It seemed empty but there was a pile of paper on the floor, sat next to it was a box of crayons spilling onto the cream carpet. By the looks of it we were in the master room and where Evan had been earlier. We stood in the middle glancing around. We appeared to be alone until the adjacent door swung open revealing a very stunned looking woman. I didn't need three guesses to work out who she was. Her face screamed fear especially at the sight of Harry and I. Her hair was dripping wet and she was adorned in pyjamas. Had she really just taken a shower when her partner downstairs was about to be killed?  

"You're not supposed to be up here," she spoke trying to sound more confident than she clearly was. 

"Did you just shower?" I asked not being able to help myself, I couldn't help but make some perplexed face at her too.

"Why?"

"Do you know what just happened downstairs? Did you know what was going to happen?" I spat out, disbelief in my tone.

"Is he still alive?"

"What?" I spluttered.

"Vince, is he-"

"Yes but that's not exactly the point here." 

"He your son?" Harry asked more calmly than I had expected. She narrowed her eyes at him as he began to speak. "Your son just saw things he should never see and you look like you couldn't give two fu-" he quickly stopped himself realising he didn't want to scare the small boy anymore than he already was. Evan was still sniffing, tears falling down his rosy red cheeks. 

"I didn't know he ran off." She admitted trying to sound sorrowful.

"Did you not think to wait until after everything was over to shower?" I argued back. 

"Look, it won't happen again. Can I have my son back now?"

"Won't happen again?!" Harry spat viciously, raising Evan higher up on his hip. "He's already been scarred for life!" 

"You have his temper."

"Don't even try and compare me to my dad right now."

"You married to him?"

"No."

"You love him?"

"Yes."

"Then why the bloody hell would you let your son out of your sight?! Why would you leave Vince downstairs to die if you loved him? This is some messed up bullshit right here!"

"Harry." I elbowed him nodding my head towards Evan. Harry sighed.  

No one said anything before we were joined in the room by Vince. He was panting from running up the stairs. He walked right over to the woman and checked her over as if she had been in danger. He then tried to reach for Evan but Harry turned his body away stopping him. 

"You're not fit enough to be a father."

"Harry," Vince pleaded.

"No. You messed my life up, I won't give you the chance to do it a second time."