Chapter Twenty Four - Cherry Bomb.

Lennon.

The voices were so loud, so demanding they made my body react quicker than my brain. Hitting Niall was the last thing I would ever want to do. He fled the room before I could say sorry. My veins were rippled with anger, my limbs were shaking as I tended to them to avoid lashing out again - it failed. My knuckles were coaxed in scratches after I smashed my hands against a glass picture frame which was on the wall, but now lay in pieces scattered across the floor.

I couldn't bare to look at the damage I had created just by my bare fists so I ran. I didn't run far but I didn't escape to a better place either.

The pub bartender set down another glass of Southern Comfort in front of me. I nodded and tried to show a hint of smile and appreciation but it came out crooked and fake. I was wearing sunglasses, in a pub, in the middle of the night - to say I was a talking point was an understatement. My hood was pulled tight around my head and my vision remained locked with the bitter alcohol slowly watering down in front of me. 

I knew drinking wasn't going to solve anything but at least it made my mind hazy for a while. 

I almost dropped the glass from my trembling hands when a screeching noise shot through my ears. To avoid attention I brought the glass to my lips and gulped down the liquid, squeezing my eyes shut as the burning feeling seared in my throat. It wasn't quintessentially a hardcore drink but when you haven't drank in a while it hits you quickly. I wasn't drunk, walking in a straight line was still easy but my head was swaying slightly.

Instead of screaming at the voices to stop like I did every time, for once I decided to see what would happen if I didn't. If I did what they asked would I be rewarded? Would they leave me alone?

I chugged the rest of my drink in the least lady like manner you could imagine. I covered my mouth when I felt a burp rising from my stomach. 

My body was twitching as they started listing off commands. Thankfully they didn't ask me to take down the bartender. He was a 50 year old man who looked like he did body building on the side. 

My feet were clicking against the pavement within seconds of them asking me to leave and hailing a taxi. They didn't give me a destination to aim for until I was sat inside. It was only a ten minute ride before I was getting out again. 

I got shivers looking at the familiar building. I used to see it everyday when I worked at the bakery, but I hadn't been inside since I studied there. I didn't like seeing it, it reminded me of what a failure I was by dropping out. It just wasn't me and I can't ever say it will be.

I tried to keep calm - the alcohol might have helped in this instance. I may be slightly intoxicated but I was fully aware that I could potentially hurt someone or worse without being able to stop myself. 

The courtyard was empty besides me and the only other lone teenager wandering around in the night. He didn't look at me and I didn't look at him. The clock tower chimed on the hour and my heart jumped rapidly. 

The building hadn't changed in a year, although I shouldn't have expected it to. It was uni halls not a palace. Of course the lift was out of order, either a couple couldn't wait until they reached their room to get down to it or someone had pulled out all the buttons - again

My boots stomped up the stairs just like they asked. I couldn't have felt any more like a puppet on a string unless I was actually attached to a piece of string. 

I honestly couldn't fathom a single reason why I was there. Instead of knocking on the door like a civilised person, I walked straight into the room I used to live in. My bed space hadn't been filled by anyone else and the other one was still occupied but not tonight. Cherry wasn't there, but the voices had told me she wouldn't be.