Chapter Twenty Eight - Escape Route.

Lennon. 

Any part of my body that was previously dry was now completely soaked with freezing cold, dirty rain water. I pushed my wet hair away from my eyes so I could see as best as I could, it was raining so hard it was difficult to see more than three feet away from me. I reached my arm out as I ran across the dangerously slippery metal floor. My free hand grasped the rail, sliding along with my quick moving feet. I caught my fingers on several screws sticking out of the railing but my body was so cold I didn’t even process the physical pain. 

My fingers latched onto his jacket tight and harshly. He still wouldn’t look at me as he forced himself out of my grip. My other hand let go of the safety barrier and pulled tightly on his coat with my other hand. His hands gripped the railing tightly, his head hanging low as he stared down at the murky depths below. 

“Harry!” I cried over the battling storm circling around us. I stepped right up to him, my hands tight against his coat. I tried to turn his body but he wouldn’t face me. I looked down at the normally slow flowing river, which was now powering through the city, I gulped at the thought of what might be running through his head.

“Please Harry, I’m begging you,” My voice trembled with each word. “Please just look at me, listen to me. Harry please.” My hands pulled on his arm, forcing him to turn reluctantly. His head was the last thing to be facing me. I looked him straight in the eye, a desolate expression was coated across his face. My words got caught in my mouth looking at his worn out figure. 

“I’m sorry-“ I began but he turned his head back almost instantly - I half expected him too though. “Just hear me out, five minutes that’s all I ask and if that isn’t enough, I’ll leave you alone.” I paused hesitantly. “After we get off the bridge anyway, I don’t care how much you hate me, I’m not letting you leave here unless it’s back down the ladder.” My tone suddenly becoming a lot more demanding. 

“I don’t hate you.” 

“You want to though, I know you do.” I heard his significant tut through the wind and rain. I turned his head back to face me, pulling my arms around his neck so he didn’t have much choice. His forehead leant against mine subconsciously, my fingers wound their way into his matted wet curls.  

"This sucks, I know," his eyes rolled as I continued to speak. "And I can't possibly imagine what it's like to be on your side of the fence but I'm so sorry."

"I should try harder, I don't know how but I'll figure it out." It was an empty promise but I didn't know what else I could offer. 

"You really shouldn't like me right now though. All you've done is been so supportive, helpful, loving and I've thrown it back at you. You were the only one genuinely optimistic throughout the past fee days - you were keeping us all sane." 

He squeezed his eyes shut as if he couldn't bare to look at me which hurt. I sniffled several times, trying to compose myself. My hand fell from his neck and gently stroked down his face. 

"I just don't want you to do something so rational because of me," I began but hiccuping over my words. "You have a lot more to live for than just me. You are one of a kind and you would be missed by more people than I think you realise. You mean the world and more to your mum, little Evan wouldn't have a big brother to look up to. You've just worked things out with your dad, things are going so well."

"Your life is worth more than some cold hearted girl who only causes trouble."

I had to keep pausing between sentences to catch my breath, the harsh wind was knocking the air right out of my lungs.