Chapter 36

A sudden downpour had hit the town hard and it shook the spirits of high schools students who had plans for the rest of their day after school. The rain was so bad that the school had to set up a lock down because not only is there rain out there, but also lightening. The skies are no longer a bright blue. Instead, a dark grey has blanketed the sky. It started right after lunch and the power in the building has shut off as well leaving the place dark with only a few lights on. 

Everyone else is freaking out, but I can't relate. I love rain. 

The teachers are doing a head count on all the students because they know some student leave during lunch. Issac and Mackenzie aren't back and I am getting more anxious by the second at the thought that Issac may be in danger because of this weather. About 15 minutes later, the teachers finish head count and the only missing ones are Issac and Mackenzie. 

"Hey, he is fine. Issac knows how to navigate himself through a storm. He is Issac." Armani reassures me and gives me a hug. 

"Thanks Armani" I say to him and hug him back. Loud commotion comes from the main doors and I pull away from Armani and look at the doors to see Issac and Mackenzie barreling through the doors drenched in rain water. I sigh in relief when I see him all in one piece walking through the hallway. Issac hands Mackenzie his black leather jacket to put on because she looks like she is cold, i guess. 

I walk over to Issac and once he realizes I am walking to him, he walks over to me. We meet in the middle and I stare at him.

"Danger always seems to find you, doesn't it?"

"Please. You love the thrill when you are with me." he says with a stupid smirk on his face.

"Maybe." I respond and run my hands through his wet hair. "You are going to be sick. You know that, right?"

"That's why I have my best friend to take care of me. Duh." he says and laughs. I embrace him in a hug and hug him as tight as I can. I feel like I haven't hugged him forever or had these goofy conversations with him. He hugs me back just as tightly.

"I thought you got hurt out there." I mumble against his chest.

"It's gonna take more than that to get rid of me Stewart." he whispers in my ear. 

"Am I interrupting?" Asher asks, who is standing right in front of us. I pull away from Issac and smile at Asher.

"Not at all." I tell Asher ans step aside.

Asher turns to Issac and says, "You always get caught up in danger, don't you?"

"You know me." Issac says and does the bro hug thingamabob with Asher. I look over to Mackenzie who is leaning up against the lockers clutching on Issac's jacket to her body. I walk over to her, feeling concerned for how she is. She did just run through a rainstorm after all.

"Are you okay?" I ask her.

"Yeah, just a little chilly is all" she responds through her chattering teeth.

"So, uh you and Issac are best friends?" she asks right when I was about to leave.

"Yeah. He is my best friend." I tell her and walk away and back to Issac. 

"You need some towels to dry off. I will go and get some towels for you and Mackenzie." Asher says and walks away.

"You sure you're okay?" I ask him.

"Yeah. I am just worried about Mackenzie. She is colder than me." He says and looks back at Mackenzie who is looking outside at the rain. 

"I will talk to you later, okay?" 

"Yeah. Take care of her." I tell him and walk away and back to Zoe.

"That's her?" Zoe asks and looks at Mackenzie. I look back to Issac who is talking to Mackenzie with a smile on his face.

"Yeah. I can't blame him for going out with her. She is pretty, kind, and has a British accent. How could I compete?"

"Bay. She is gorgeous and all and I get the craze going on for the British girl, but you are forgetting one important thing." Zoe says with a smirk on her face. "You were his first choice. She is and always will be the second choice. She will always feel like she has to compete with you. I mean look at you and Issac. Anyone with eyes and a half functioning brain could sense the connection between the two of you and she will always feel like she has to measure up. It's kind of like the love triangle between Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez, and Hailey Baldwin."

"Of course, you would include celebrity drama into this."

"Hey, if it makes you feel better, the house wants you and Issac together."

"The house?"

"Armani, Asher, and moi. And probably most of the school. You guys are literal goals."

"I am not listening to this." I say and walk away and into the cafeteria where everyone mostly is. We take a seat at out usual table.

"Did you talk to Asher?"

"Of course not."

"Go and do it. I refuse to sit here and watch you wallow in pain because you want slash don't want Asher."

"What would I say?"

"What's in here" I tell her and point to my heart. She nods her head and gets up and walks away.

Godspeed Zoe

"Okay everyone. Settle down." Ms. Francis, the nasally art teacher, says.

Not her again.

"Due to power outages, there will be no class for the rest of the day. It is unsafe to leave the building, so you will stay here. I will be in charge of doing activities and games. So lets start with a trust exercise." she says and smiles.

Oh helllllll no

I jump out my seat and quickly walk out the cafeteria before she sees me. I am not doing that again. In sophomore year, she had us do that. Let's just say someone walked away with a broken neck and another with a broken rib. 

I run down the hallway knowing my destination. The science lab. I look back while running making sure no one is following me, but that was a stupid mistake. I collide right into something and I collapse on the ground. Well, on top of that person who is on the ground. 

Which just happens to be Brett Cruz.

"It looks like dreams really do come true." He says with a dorky smile on his face.

"I am so so sorry Brett. I really am a klutz. I was running away from Ms.Francis in the cafeteria, so this..happened."

"It's alright." He says and I scoot off of him and onto the ground next to him.

"Me and my two left feet." I nervously chuckle and run my hands through my curly hair.

"We haven't really talked since our coffee, have we?"

"You mean our ice cream?" I ask him and look at him with a smile on my face. He looks at me with a glint in his eyes and says, " We should do that again sometime."

"Maybe." I reply and get up and dust myself off.

"That's it?" he asks.

"For now." I respond.