Chapter 40

I twist the knob on the door and push open the door. My mom is sitting on her leather brown couch next to my father as they watch the news. It's as if he never left. I'm guessing  the creaking of the door causes them to look back at us. My mom is the first one to shoot out the couch and hurriedly rush to us. 

She rests her hands on either side of my face. "Bay, are you okay?"

"As if you care." I bite back and slap her hand off my face. 

"Why are you here?" I ask the male stranger who is trespassing in my house.

"Bay...I missed you guys. I figured Thanksgiving is in 2 days. Maybe we could have a family dinner. All as one. I can meet Leo. I heard he wants to be in NASA."

"Like you care. You left 2 weeks after he was birthed." Zoe speaks up.

"Zoe. My beautiful Zoe." He walks toward us, but Zoe and I simultaneously move back. His eyes flit between the two of us hoping for one of us to give in to his act, but I don't trust him.

"Girls. Give him a chance. He is trying here." Mom defends him and rests a manicured hand on his shoulder and he shoots her a smile.

"Give him a chance? After everything he has done!" I yell and look at my so called father in disgust.

"He left you with a newborn to take care of own your own. He has been gone for 8 years!! What is wrong with you!" Zoe yells at mother.

"Don't speak to your mother like that Zoe." Sean says sternly.

"Um I think the fuck not. You don't get to just march in here and act like you could tell us what to do. You have been gone for 8 years. As far as I know, you are a complete stranger."

"Bay.." He murmurs, he runs a stressed hand through his hair. 

"How could you let him come back here after everything. No heads up, nothing" Zoe says and her voice breaks. She is going to cry again.

"He wants to try to be in your lives again."

"Really? Well that sounds like a load of bullshit to me. Where have you been the last 8 years, huh?"

"I have been bouncing around and trying to find my place."

"YOUR PLACE WAS MEANT TO BE THE FATHER OF THIS FAMILY, THE MAN OF THIS HOUSEHOLD!" 

Mother and Sean flinch at the volume of my words, but I don't care.

"I love you Bay and I love you Zoe. You have to believe me."

"I don't believe in love. Well specifically, yours."

His face falls and the light he had in his eyes before disappears.

"I wish I could've been here for you girls. I missed you everyday and-"

" Then why weren't you!" I yell, but the cracking in my voice can be heard. A lump forms in my throat and I know I will be in tears soon as well. 

"I'm sorry I hurt you. I just needed some time to figure out some things."

"Some time is a few weeks. You left for 8 YEARS!" Zoe screams and she bursts into tears. She runs past me and out the study and her footsteps are heard going upstairs.

"Bay, please. I know I messed up."

"You made a mistake coming here. Leave and don't come back." I croak and head for the door.

"Bay I love you!" he yells after me.

"I don't" I mutter loud enough for them to hear and I walk out the study and out my heartbroken house. I don't know where I am going.