- unwelcoming welcomes/familiarity -

"WHAT SHOULD I CALL YOU?" Elenora forced herself to ask as she walked alongside Charles in the corridors of the school

"WHAT SHOULD I CALL YOU?" Elenora forced herself to ask as she walked alongside Charles in the corridors of the school. However big Elenora thought it would be on the outside, the inside proved much more impressive- just in the first hallway, there were four classrooms and the entrance to the dining hall. She'd peered into a classroom once while Charles pretended to be distracted, and she wondered how this school managed to house about ten times the size of that room- maybe even more. It was a beautiful place, but Elenora knew that'd she enjoy it more as soon as her question was answered.

Charles didn't even hesitate before answering, likely because he knew it was coming up; "Most students call be professor X," he reasoned, treading over his next words very carefully, "and you may call me that if you'd like."

Elenora tried to hide a look of excitement at "if you'd like". "If I didn't call you that, I'd call you-"

Well aware of what she was thinking of, Charles  finished for her, "Uncle Charles, I'd suppose." He let a little laugh out as if trying to ease Elenora's anxiety, and testing the waters for himself. A smile graced her lips, and Elenora glanced down sheepishly.

She thought carefully about how she should, response, and took a breath before breathing out, "Uncle Charles. I like the ring of it."

Charles let a small laugh escape, his eyes flickering to the ground before meeting Elenora's. He was well aware that she had her fathers eyes- yes, he had known it since the first time he saw the baby Beatrice was holding. "His eyes," he had told her, "but the rest is all you." And it was true- her brown hair and button nose and cheekbones- she was nearly an exact replica of his sister. It felt like she was right there in front of him, but he knew better.

He had to know better.

As if worried Elenora would read his thoughts, Charles was swift to change the topic. "What subjects are you interested in, Elenora?"

It wasn't hard to see that the question in itself startled Elenora, and she stuttered a bit before asking, "Subjects? Like, as in math?"

Again, Charles let out a laugh. Originally, he was worried Elenora was going to be much tougher to crack, but it seemed as though Bucky and Steve had done his work. "Precisely," Charles answered, prompting Elenora to speak.

For a moment she hesitated, she hadn't ever been asked that before, but eventually, she managed to push out a reply. "Uh, I like Literature and Composition, like Language Arts classes? I'm not really sure what you call them," she shrugged. When Charles didn't say anything, she spoke some more. "I like analysis meanings of sentences because there are so many ways to take words, but uh, I hate writing essays. Yeah, I kinda suck at essays."

Now they were in front of a door, one that led to what Elenora presumed to be a classroom. With his hand clutching the handle, Charles allowed a smile to settle on his face. "While you're here," he  promised, "I assure you you'll become very good at them."