XIV

Elizabeth's pov

I watch the figure of the person who spent most of his day with me leave the palace. Edward turns back one last time to wave his hands in goodbye, I smile smoothly as I wave back. As he disappears I tug lightly on the scarf covering my shoulders and arms. I take gentle steps towards my room, towards our room. On my way, my mind becomes a cup filling itself with thoughts and worries. Oliver wasn't back yet and it was past 6, I could hear my heart race as I panic, as I wonder if he's fine.

"Elizabeth". I turn around to find Adeline standing there smiling widely at me. "Oh Adeline..is Oliver back yet?", I asked worried. "No princess", I see her face frown softly, "but I got good news, the letter reached your family and they said they will be coming over". I smile tenderly but the worries in me won the war and the smile I had fadeaway ever so faintly. Adeline noticed my pale worried face as she tries to comfort me with her words, "don't worry Elizabeth, he is fine. And when he reaches I'll make sure he knows you asked for him". I look at her and draw a smile on my face, I nod as I whisper "thank you..".

As I enter the room I walk towards the bag on the bed. I sit facing it and organize the stuff inside it, I grab a book as I close the bag, placing it back in the closet. I change my clothes into sleepwear, and tug myself under the blanket for two. I play soft music from the gramophone as I hold my book in my powerless hands. I try to pass time, waiting for Oliver, I pray to win the race with time so I could see Oliver's face before I sleep.

Oliver Quill's pov

I set foot inside the palace at midnight, I didn't bare to walk inside and see those two snuggle together, it disgusts me. I pet Matilda as I share my feelings with her. "I don't need to speak so you will understand me right.", the imperceptible voice of mine, gets nothing but the movement of Matilda's head lowering itself. I keep the steady move of my arm as I brush her soft long hair, "You are the only soul that understands me, what did I do to deserve you?". Matilda looks at me before she lays her head on my shoulder. I chuckle before I say "Thank you Matilda...", I continue to brush the strands of hair wrapping itself around me. Matilda huffs as if she is trying to tell me something i rebuff to hear. "What is it Matilda?", I question before I turn my head to the side to see Elizabeth standing there.

I look at her and turn back to Matilda. I could hear her take steps towards us. "Since when were you here?", I sharply inquire. "I just came..", the voice I despise to hear leaves her lips. That means she didn't hear the conversation between Matilda and I. "Why are you here?", I question yet again. She stands close to me as she looks at Matilda, whom I'm still petting. "I was worried..", she hesitates in her choice of words. "Don't be.", I unemotionally say.

I could see from the edge of my eye that she was staring at me, she looks down and up again at Matilda. "I can't help it..", she hopelessly say. I look at her, face straight with no emotions or whatsoever, "listen Elizabeth, 'us' will never happen, do you understand? So you better choose your words wisely when you're around me". I lock eyes with her and I could see things in those dark brown eyes, things like pain and misery. She looks down breaking the contact and quietly reply, "alright..". I greeted my teeth as I don't feel satisfied with her answer, I lock the gate of Matilda before I leave, without her, without Elizabeth.

As I make my way into the house, I spot my mother smiling at me, rushing towards me. "What's the matter?" I ask before she speaks. "Son i already told Elizabeth about this and now I've got to tell you", she  continues, "your father and I planned to throw a party tomorrow celebrating your marriage" she grins. I roll my eyes as my face finds it's annoyed mad expression, "Do you really have to exaggerate? So what? I got married, you don't have to do all that". My mother tries to find the best words from her collection of convincing words, "oh darling, we aren't exaggerating, we are just too happy for you and besides we sent the invitations since morning so we can't just cancel it", she giggles at the fact I can't deny anything now. She taps my shoulder before leaving, I tilt my head up as I let go of the prisoner, the sigh.

Elizabeth's pov

Even in silence I love you..

I look to my side as I see his disappearing shadow, leaving nothing but darkness behind. The vulnerable sigh leaves my lips as Matilda tries to comfort me, by laying her head on palm. I smile happily as I spend time with the only thing Oliver actually loves. I pet her for a while before I head inside the palace. I enter our room to find Oliver sleeping. I enjoy looking at a peaceful looking Oliver with no worries with no pain hidden in him. I wonder if he knows about tomorrow, or did they cancel it. Heading towards the bathroom to wash my hands and changing back in to my sleepwear, I walk inside the room to head towards a peaceful sleeping Oliver. I gently slide under the blanket before I lay my face facing him.

You're so handsome..

I smile deliberately before I slowly brush the falling strands of hair away from his face. The soft strands of hairs felt like liquid between my fingers, I felt like I was carrying the whole ocean in a cup, I promise to treasure my whole life.  I move a bit closer to him as I fall into a very deep sleep.