LVI

It was him.

For a while..

"Elizabeth! Elizabeth!" The yells that screamed my name were equal to terror someone feels when their home is being invaded. It woke me up when it shouldn't have. The blurry sight of mother, Caroline, Adeline and the one I felt..Edward, holding me. All of it, woke me up. When I should've been with Oliver a while more..

"Mom?.." was my first word after I opened my eyes slowly. "Yes! Yes darling. I'm here, don't you worry" her worried yet strong mask spoke to me as she bent down to hold me. I flutter my heavy eyes and I shift them to see Edward, face as pale as winter. "He was here.." I whisper, still not understanding how come Edward is here when it was Oliver who held me. When it was his love that filled me. They all remain silent as I look up at Caroline, "I saw Oliver, Caroline. He was here!" I say as I look at everyone who seemed to take me as far as I know, insane. "The doctor is on his way. It's best if you rest Elizabeth" Adeline sugar plated voice said as she bent down and caressed my lifeless palm.

...............

"You will be fine for now, but please your majesty if you keep stressing and exhausting yourself like this" he shakes his head slowly, "You will be fine but your child won't..". There is struck me, his words made me realize that this isn't about my life or Oliver's, it's our child's and I promised to do anything to protect my own child. I force a small smile and I nod gently, "thank you doctor". He smiles and nods his heads before being escorted out by Princess Caroline and Adeline. Leaving me, mother and Edward all in one room.

"You heard the doctor love.... you can't keep doing this to yourself. Or the baby" she smiles dearly to me and runs her warm hand over my wavy thick hair. I lean my head against her chest and I could see Edward sitting on the couch in the corner of my bed. They were here, to protect me. Oliver made sure they were to be here. "Mummy" the angelic voice of Lucas made its appearance as he stood by the door, looking at his broken sister. I knew exactly how he felt, how confusion got the best of him. I shift my head off mother as I tell her, "distract him..I'm the last thing I want him to be worried about".

I see mother take off. "Will she be okay mummy?" The faint voice of Lucas as he was being pulled away made me sad. I loved them, my family. They were and are my everything, forever. I shift to look at Edward and I felt the need to apologize for putting him in such situation earlier, "I'm sorry..". He looked up at me and smiled softly, knowing what I meant, "don't you worry". He shift his eyes on the side and spots the untouched Gramophone. He looks back at me and the Gramophone and smiles cheekily, "huh?" He raises his eyebrows before dashing to play the record on it.

"You haven't changed have you" I chuckle at his cheeky actions and I can't help but feel home. He always pulled me through my worsts and today, he showed no signs of failure. "In my worst of times Elizabeth, I like to clear my mind off things." He speaks, voice deep yet calming to the ear, he leans back on the chair and looks at me, "and you. Thee Elizabeth Conner, need that". I sigh as I lay my heavy weighted head back.

"I'm glad you're back Edward" my whisper fills its own cup from a long waited silence, before he filled his own, "I'm glad you're okay Elizabeth.." he sighs a bit before playing with his hands again, "you scared me today..though um..thought I'd lose you".

Edward's pov

I see her sit up slowly and face me. She tries to smile before she stops the music from playing. My wondering eyes follow her movement, finding anywhere to look at, except her eyes. "My day before yours" she faintly said. It was inaudible, yet my eyes were immediately stuck to her.

His words..
Her lips.

"No- no no don't say that" I ferociously manage to say. Horrified from these words, from these promises. I felt dizzy, unsettled. "Edward? Edward are you alright?" even Elizabeth's ethereal voice couldn't save me. I saw him, and then her, him and then her. My mind was playing chess and it won over me. Over my own sanity. "Edward! Edward hey, hey! Look at me." Elizabeth pulled my light headed head and balanced me between her tender warm palms. "Look at me. I'm sorry, for putting you through my own stress and weakness. I'm sorry for pushing you to keep a promise, when you can't. I- I'm sorry. " she whispered ever so gently and I fell for it, I fell for her voice, her touch, he warmth.

I looked into those eyes, those innocent pure glowing eyes and I realized I never stopped loving her. I don't think I ever will. Her thumb caressed my cheeks and I saw my reflection in her own eyes. The version where I see my true self, the broken me with tears running down my cheeks, the me that lingers to be hers.

"He sacrificed-" I sniffed looking down at her eyes and she nods gently, still holding my face in place. "And I- I cant even keep a promise for him". She gulps slowly and looks back up at me, "you don't have to Edward. I wouldn't accept, if it didn't make you happy. I bet If Oliver- if he had time he would have said it..cleared it". I sighed and I pulled her to sit back on her bed. "You were right Edward.. we can't keep a promise to someone whom couldn't keep his own" she spoke eyes on the verge of becoming the unheard broken pieces of diamonds' preciousness.

And I couldn't help it, having her in my arms. It was the power of love that pushed me.

Pushed me to kiss her.