LX

I take my little heavy steps away leading towards the living room, where the celebration was to take place. I look down at the compass as I walk towards the table of gifts. I bend down and place it in the middle to grab Lucas's attention the moment he enters.

"Oh darling.. you didn't have to" my mother spoke as she realized my gift is the same gift my father gave to me on my 6th birthday. I stand up and held her palms in mines, "it guided me in life, it's time it guides Lucas as well" I smile gently at her. I see how strong my mother tried to be. She was broken and she wanted to let these tears stream down her soft face but she didn't dare to shed a tear of sadness in front of us.

in front of me.

A role model she strived to be. A role model she became.

"A compass?". We both turn around to see Caroline looking down at the gift. "A one that leads you to the right path" I state smiling at her. Caroline stands up and hugs me tightly. I felt her warmth in so long, i couldn't believe she was becoming alright as time passed on. She pulls away and pulls her palms to my cheek, "I wish you knew how grateful he was to have you. How all of us were" she spoke gently, her voice stable and soft, palms warmer than a scarf of Cotten.

I just nod to her before I excuse myself to go and call Edward. I make sure everything was in place. This was the first celebration we hosted after the war, it was a reminder to all of us, that goodness is always there.

Always. Forever together. Forever there my dear Oliver.

I hold onto the poll as I call for Edward and Lucas. I see as both of them run towards my echo, both laughing, free spirited, happy.. I see as Lucas pants the moment he stood in front of me and a tired bent Edward in the corner sitting on the stairs. I raise my eyebrows and I giggle, "what have you done Lucas!?". Lucas chuckles, looks at Edward and back to me, "nothing I swear! He taught me how to ride Matilda!".

"Oh! And why is that?" I say looking at a short- breathed Edward. He notices my stare and immediately knit his eyebrows together as he spoke, "don't look at me! He was the one who offered to take the child on a ride once she's born" Edward says pointing at Lucas. Lucas acted surprised and looked back at me, "That is false!! Despite the fact I would love to!" Lucas yelled excitedly. I giggle as Edward stands up, "come on you two, we have got no time for your childish games".

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!" The cheers and screams of surprises sent Lucas off for a second. His eyes widened as I felt his grip tighten around my palm. He was startled but not for long. He jumped around and ran to hug mother. He was surrounded by his loved ones.

I was one of them.
I am one of them.

The guards were spinning Lucas in circles. We were all so happy. Lucas took his steps towards the pile of gifts and looked at Caroline, mother and I. His eyes pleading for permission. "It's your birthday!" Caroline states, her fingers pointing to the gifts. "Go for it my boy" mother whispers but Lucas was fast to hear as he grabbed the first thing his eyes laid on.

The compass.

After a while of him just looking and examining the little object in his hands he managed to whisper my name. I go and I sit next to him on the floor. His eyes gazed into mine, eyes that showed stars I've always admired. "Let father guide you" I say, voice barely audible to anyone but him. He hugs me tightly and whispers in my ears, "I'll take good care of it". I nod in agreement as I watch him place it in his pocket. We sat there, all of us. No title could define us, no title could hold any power.

Edward's hands slide into mine and I lean on him. I watch as Lucas eats some of his cake and spreads joy to those who saw him. "He's growing too fast.." I spoke to Edward. He moves his palms and plays with my fingers, "I know..but at least the little one will have 3 blood related guardians. You, your mother and now Lucas". I sigh in relief, "if you put it in that way, then I don't mind" I say. He stays silent for a while. "He is a wise kid you know" Edward states.
I hum in reply, "he is".

"Won't you two join us at the table for dinner?" Caroline says from behind our sitting figure. I sit up straight and nod to her. "You guys better have left me some cake!" Edward tried to threaten but ended up looking dumb trying to hide his laugh. I giggle at his red face. "The self control is astonishing!" I state sarcastically laughing at him. "Oh of course we did! We don't want the beast in you to appear" Caroline says patting him, "now come on you two".

The moment she left Edward bursted out laughing, "I suck at acting, don't I?". I roll my eyes "tell me about it!". We both get up and head towards dinner. Before I took my seat in the middle, I called for Lucas. "Today you will sit here. Today you are in charge" I say leaning down to Lucas. He grins widely and hugs me, "thank you thank you thank you!". I help him sit in my place and went on to his chair to sit down. "Get up. Take mines" Edward said, food in his mouth. His seat was facing Lucas's, it was the second in charge who sits there.

"Oh there is no need for that Edward" I say. "Hey! I'm not the one who makes the orders" he chuckles before he sits in my seat and I sit in his. I tilt my head to Lucas and raise my eyebrows, "he's better at fun that you, he can't be in charge!" Lucas states complaining. We all laugh and I just shake my head before looking at Edward whom I caught his stare.

"You're gorgeous" he mouths silently.