Ch3. "Home"

I struggled to find shelter for a few days after I left the physiatrist's building. But luckily the Fishers apparently went out to Hawaii. From what I heard, they are going to be there for the whole summer. They put their dog Jax in a dog hotel so I don't have to worry about him. There's electricity, running water, a T.V, video games, books, sleeping bags. Life of luxury for the summer. I'll take good care of everything while I live here. I know for sure that I won't be able to get back to school. Don't really care though. There's nothing there for me anymore.

Money to buy food is the only problem in my mind. I don't have much for money right now and I have no interest in becoming a beggar or prostitute. The Fishers have money in their house, but I'm not a thief. So I spend a lot of time collecting cans and cashing them in. Every now and then I find a five dollar bill. Enough for chicken nuggets. Today, I collected fifteen dollars and I was just leaving the store with a small bag of groceries.

"Excuse me, miss." A voice said from behind me. I looked back to see a guy in relatively fancy clothes. He smiled when I gave him my attention.

"I've been watching you in the store and I think you got something." He said as he took a step closer. I had no idea what he is talking about. I didn't steal anything.

"I am the business owner of Silver Heels. You heard of it?" He asked. I know a lot of the football players go there every now and then, but that's pretty much it. Instead of saying anything, I simply shook my head.

"Well, I've been looking for some girls to hire and I'm very picky about it. You have everything I'm looking for." He said as he took out a card and gave it to me.

"You'll be making a lot of money if you work for me, I'll guarantee that. Stop by sometime with that card and I'll show you around. We can get better acquainted then." He said before walking away. I looked down at the card in my hand and mentally sighted in irritation. Silver Heels is a strip club. Hell no. I put it in my wallet before looking at the sky. The sun was close to setting meaning I needed to get back "home". I was at the border between the city and the forest when I noticed someone following me. I recognized the scent. Expensive perfume.

"What are you up to Blank Face?" The voice asked mockingly. I mentally rolled my eyes when I heard her shrilly voice.

"Minding my own business. It's great. You should try it Jane." I replied as I continued to walk towards "home". I wish that she would just leave me alone. But I'm easy prey now since I'm alone and shorter than her.

"Well I couldn't help but notice the fifteen dollars-" Jane said before I turned around and cut her off.

"I've been diving into trash for this money. If you want to take anything from me, take the business card." I said before stuffing the card in her purse. I turned and started to walk away but then she grabbed my shoulder. Her long, fake nails were digging into my skin.

"What are you gonna do Y/N. Your friends are dead. They can't help you. That's what they get for hanging out with a freak like you." Jane said as she towered over me and breathing down my neck as she took the money out of my hand. I sighed blankly at her words, but my heart burned slightly with fury. Just enough furry for me to punch the bitch in her pretty face. She didn't fall so I decided to hold her against the brick wall.

"Talk whatever crap you want about me. My dead self can take it. Don't talk shit about my friends. They didn't deserve any crap whatsoever. If anyone should have died that night, it should have been the bastard that killed them." I replied as I held her against the wall.

"I know what I saw. If I find him, he better be ready. Because if I find him, I'll make him wish that he never crossed my path." I finished before taking my money back. I could tell that she was scared to death. She was scared of me, even though I was blank as always. But she was also scared of something else. She was looking at something behind me, but she couldn't get herself to scream, point, or struggle out of my grip. I sighed and simply let her go to watch her run away before looking at the woods. She was looking at something there. My curiosity grabbed my hand and pulled me to the edge the forest. My common sense said to go "home" since it would be dark in a few hours. But I had to go back. I need to know what darkness is hiding there. "Home" can wait.