1.Just a normal day

So today's day started weird. 

First, I was late to my morning lecture that wasn't even that early, it was at 9:00 am. It was my fault though, I was up late, until 3:00 am, studying. Which is stupid I guess, I was studying for my uni, but because of that, I was late for uni... 

Afterwards, as I was finished with my two lectures for the day, I parted with my friends and headed to my job. I made it in time, this time, to the small convenient store which was in my neighborhood, where I luckily worked at. 

This is where another weird thing occurred: I was sent into the aisles instead of the register, where I've been pretty much every day for the past year. The reason was fairly simple, there was a new worker on training, so the manager had to be with him at the register. 

It was fine working in the aisles, it was actually a lot less stressful, but a lot more boring.

So there I was, in the chemical aisle, arranging soaps, which is as much fun as it sounds like, when I noticed a familiar figure. 

He was on crutches, trying to look at something on the lowest shelf, which wasn't really easy. I left the soups, and approached him. As I was getting closer to him, I realized that he looked slightly different. He was usually in expensive sports clothes, with a backpack and a suitcase trailing behind him, something I always found funny. But today he was in sporty shorts and a big hoodie that was hiding his whole body and face. His right leg was up in the air, all bandaged up, and because of that he was leaning on crutches, which gave him bad posture, making him seem shorter than he actually was.  

-Hi.- I spoke in Japanese.

His head jerked in my direction and a look of surprise landed on his face. Soon enough it was replaced with a pleasant one.

-Hi.-he smiled kindly, and returned his attention to the lowest shelf, calculating how to reach it.

-Do you need help?-I continued in Japanese, amused at how silly he looked.

-Kind of.-He laughed.-I can't reach the ice packs.-

I didn't say anything, I just squatted where he was standing, got the ice packs that he needed and handed them to him.

-Thank you.-He said politely, bowing his head. 

-Nothing.- I responded. My Japanese manners were a bit rusty, but I bowed my head as well. 

-So what happened?- I asked, probably in impolite Japanese, gesturing to his leg.

-I fell.- He simply replied, examining the package I handed him.-You're not Japanese.-He suddenly stated, shifting his look towards me.

-Is my Japanese that bad?-I laughed awkwardly.

-No.... but It's not really native.-He paused for a second.-You kind of look Japanese, but don't really act like it.- 

-You caught me.-I raised my hands above my head. He smiled at that, but stayed reserved.

-So you're not?-He asked raising his eyebrows.

I knew what he was asking, but didn't want to answer him. I sensed he didn't want to answer my question about his leg, so there was no point in starting a deep conversation with someone whose name I didn't even know..

-What's your name?- I asked in English, remembering how bad his English actually was, laughing to myself. 

I slowly moved away from him, back to my soaps, leaving him no choice but to follow me. I mean, he could've left, but it was soon obvious that he wasn't going to do that.

-Yuzuru.- He said, hopping behind me. -Yours?- He asked in Japanese.

-It's Kin.- I turned around, offering my hand. He looked surprised for a second, but quickly took it in his warm one. Then he smiled openly.

-So you are Japanese.-He said, almost teasingly. I turned back to my work, smiling for myself.

-You're a smart one.-I returned in English, teasing him.

-I can speak Engrish.-He said confidently. It sounded almost like a question. 

"Gosh that's cute" I thought. 

-I remember.-I replied in the same language, referring to the first time we met, a year ago.

-You're funny.-He was back to Japanese, with a laugh in his throat. Then I heard his snickers squeaking, as he was turning, followed with the thumping of his crutches. He left. 

............

I liked seeing him. Right now he was the only person I got to speak Japanese with. I missed it. Naturally, every time he appeared at the register, usually buying candy, or soft drinks, I was overjoyed. Quickly trying to say as many Japanese words as possible, in the short time I had him in front of me, I would ask him random things. Today was actually our longest conversation and the deepest one. Usually we would just exchange a few words about the weather or candy. 

He was always kind, with a smile on his face. And I'm sure he too, was glad to be able to speak to someone in Japanese, seeing by his English that he probably wasn't from Canada. 

I also noticed him a few times in the neighborhood, with his suitcase, considering all of this, I was pretty sure he lived near by. 

But his visits to the store were irregular. He could be here few days in a row, and then he'd be gone for months. Therefore, every time I saw him was a surprise; and it made my day every time, even though I had no idea who he was. 

All I knew was that he was Japanese, looked a bit older than me,  liked sweets and was, despite that, somehow extremely slim. I guess now I knew his name was Yuzuru.