5. Saturday 2°

-So what do you study?- He asked, as we continued towards my building, slowly.

-The short version is programming.- I laughed, not wanting to bore him with the specifics of my degree.

-Oh wow, that seems difficult.- He exclaimed, sounding impressed.

-What's it related to? Making apps or..?-

-It's more like software engineering. I'm interested in building the code... Software construction, rather than app design.-

-Do you like what you study, or are you doing it just to get a degree? -

-Hmm..? Well I definitely like programming, and engineering, and I can't find myself doing anything else..... But I'd be lying if I said that I didn't choose this degree because of the high demand for software engineers. And the pay is nice too.-

-But do you enjoy studying it?- He pushed.

-I guess... I don't know.-

For some reason it was really hard for me to decide if I liked it or not, it just wasn't that simple.

-How can you not know? You either like something or you don't.- He said confidently.

-It can't be black and white like that!- I said in frustration, not being able to express my thoughts with my words.
-Sorry, If I'm not making much sense, Japanese is my weaker language, plus I'm generally not really good with words.-

-I guess I get what you're trying to say, but I just don't understand it. For me, I know if I like something or not, it's simple.-

-I wish I was more like that.-  I sighted, thinking of how indecisive I actually was.

-So then, do you like what you're doing? Do you study?- I continued the conversation.

-Yeah, I study..., and no, I  don't like it.-

-What do you study?-

-Human informatics and cognitive sciences.-

-Now that seems difficult.-

-It is.-

-If you don't like it why do you study it?-

-I liked math in school, and this seemed interesting so I picked it.- He shrugged, like it was that simple.

-But now you don't like it?-

-I never said that. I still find it interesting, I just don't like studying at all.-

-You see, It's not that simple.- I jumped, pointing my finger at him.

-Yes it is.- He argued.

-So why study at all then?-

-I just wanted to have a degree in something.- He shrugged again.

I gasped. -What about the rest of your life? What after the degree?-

-Well, I have other plans.-He smiled mischievously.

I was about to say something, but then I realized we had arrived in front of my building. It took us about 30 minutes, when it should really take only 10. So it was needless to say I was freezing. Even though the sky was clear, and the day was bright, it was still a November day in Toronto.

-Well this is me.- I pointed behind me.

He scanned the building squinting his eyes like he did some minutes ago. 

-Do you want to come in?- I asked without a second thought, climbing up the 3 steps that led to the entrance of a small, six story building. 

-No, no thanks.- He said shaking his head.

- Come on, I'll make you a cup of tea, or hot chocolate. You need to warm up, it's freezing.- I offered, shivering.

-No, no, I shouldn't, I don't want to bother you.... I actually live in the parallel street.- He pointed to the direction across the street, where we were standing.

I could see he was just being Japanese polite. -That's even more reason why you should come in. Come on.- I gestured for him to come, smiling.

I saw him thinking about it, looking at the three steps. 

-There is an elevator inside.-

And that did it. He started to make his way towards me. I rushed to the steps to help him up, but in a split second he put his crutches in one hand and easily jumped up the steps on his left foot. "That's one way to do it" I thought, a bit confused with the ease of his seemingly effortless action.

......

Now the elevator ride was one of the strangest moments of my life.

He got in first, jumping on one foot, he turned around and faced me.

I got in and turned my back to him, facing the door, like he did. I pressed the 4th floor, and the doors closed.

And now we were standing in silence. Which is not weird when it comes to elevator rides, they usually are like that, a bit awkward. 

But this elevator was covered in mirrors, which also, is not that weird for elevators. So, we were standing there, looking at each other in the mirror. His face was relaxed, serious, and he was looking me right in the eyes. My heart suddenly started to beat really fast, and that feeling that you get in your gut when an elevator starts, soon took over my whole body. I couldn't breath, move, or take my eyes off of his. 

The elevator stopped, and as we got out, the feeling disappeared. It was as if that moment had never happened.