16. Pom-pom

I took Sarah's advice and called my manager to tell him I wouldn't be able to come in today. It was obvious that he wasn't happy with that, but he couldn't say anything to me, since I've never missed a day in the store. And after my morning lectures I headed straight for bed.

When I finally woke up it was already dark outside. It was 7 pm.

Laying in my bed I checked my phone. It was full of messages from him. He started texting me as soon as I left his house, with our usual silly text's, but after a while of me not responding, his texts became serious. He was worried, I could tell. The last one was sent 3 hours ago. He asked if he did something wrong.

God I was an asshole...

But I knew that I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye if I first didn't deal with my own problems. He shouldn't have to suffer because of my insecurities.

I left my room, and took a hot shower; first move to recovery: clean your body. When I was done, Mila had already come home.

-What are you doing here? Didn't go to work? Got fired?-

-Nothing like that, I just took a day off. I needed the rest.-

-Ahhh, I envy you...-She whined.

-You really shouldn't- I let out a sarcastic laugh.

-Hey Mila?-

-Yes.- She was in the kitchen, making coffee.

-You got something to do right now?-

-I need to read the assigned book, but looking over that, I'm basically free.-She answered.-Why? You need me?-

-Wanna go to the mall? It's Yuzuru's birthday tomorrow, I want to buy him a present.-

-It's his birthday tomorrow huh?- She repeated for herself.- OK! I love shopping! Girls night out!- She exclaimed happily, jumping around.

......

I was worried, last night.What could I possibly get him that he couldn't already have? But after talking to Sarah, and thinking a bit, I remembered something that women Tracy, his mom, said to me: "Take care off him" she said. So that's exactly what I was going to do.

I remembered I had some extra birthday money my uncle had sent me, so I wasn't too worried about that. Now I just had to find what I was looking for.

......

After our successful shopping trip I gathered myself, and sent him a text.

"I'm alright, don't worry." said the message.

He replied with "How could I not?"

I didn't know what to say to that. I stared at the screen for a while, laying in my bed, before sleep took over.

.......

Tuesday

Today's day was crazy busy.

My classes were difficult, and one of my professors assigned me, and some other people a presentation next week, so I had to stay on campus longer than I intended, just so me and my colleagues could come up with a plan for the said presentation. That meant I was rushing to work, not able to catch a breath, not even having time to look at my phone.

At work, new shipping came in, so Emma had zero time to switch with me. I didn't even have time to have a snack.

By the time 9 pm came around I was absolutely, and completely exhausted. I stood there, blank expression on my face, lightning my first cigarette of the day, while Emma was locking up.