1: She Doesn't Even Like Croquet

"Literally everyone knows you only joined the croquet team because you want to impress Alicia Simmons, Mikey." Ray came to point out the obvious, disheartening Mikey's mallet wielding form to a visible extent.

Mikey Way threw a death glare in Ray's direction, coming to hold the mallet in a more weapon like manner, which would have been threatening if Mikey wasn't a scrawny kid with glasses, hair sticking up in every direction, and perfectly polished superhero figurines laid out on his bedroom windowsill in alphabetical order.

"Just saying, dude." Ray shrugged, his eyes drifting downwards in what anyone would presume to be guilt.

Ray Toro was quite probably the kindest dude you'd ever meet, and intending to insult anyone, even someone with the arrogance of Mikey Way, was in no way in his intentions. He ran a hand through his afro, before pulling his eyes back up to meet Mikey's.

"Who says I want to impress Alicia Simmons?" Mikey's cheeks flushed in a gradient like manner, going through just about every shade of red on the colour wheel before settling upon a reddish beetroot colour that really didn't complaint his shockingly pale skin.

"Just about everyone." Ray was always one for the truth, and he did his best not to offend anyone with it, but with some things, reactions were inevitable.

Ray was of course expecting some reaction from his words after having known Mikey for a good few years now, but what he was not expecting was for his best friend to go through a full blown hissy fit.

"So now you tell me that everyone's gossiping about me behind my back and that you've joined them, huh? What a great fucking friend are you?" Mikey slammed his croquet mallet to down, the wooden handle colliding with the dampened soil reaching up through the patchy grass of the Toro family's backyard, the thud resonating from the impact threw Frank back to consciousness.

Frank had been leaning against the fence about a metre away from Mikey and the wicket he'd struggled to set up beside Ray. As much as the seventeen year old had tried to show interest in the affairs of his best friends, even if they were the girl troubles of Mikey Way, Frank had resorted to laying back and basking in what little sun he could get, and had in fact nearly dozed off before Mikey's unexpected case of generally uncalled for mallet abuse woke him up.

"Mikey you could smash that mallet - I'd be careful." Ray pointed out in a very maternal fashion that wasn't exactly unexpected from someone of his nature, gesturing towards the mallet, which lay wedged into the ground at an odd angle. He kept his distance from the thing though, because he knew Mikey wouldn't hesitate to whack him over the head with the thing if he even went as far as to touch it.

"Who cares about the freaking mallet?" Mikey exclaimed, his agitated nature now becoming aware to Frank, who was regretting having woken up entirely.

Frank was an odd kind of guy, he wasn't particularly noticed in school at all, but unlike Mikey, he was completely fine with that, and not for the same goodhearted reasons as Ray. Frank simply had other things on his mind; as his friends were fussing over Alicia Simmons and croquet, Frank was considering just how his mum would react when he came home tomorrow with the lip piercing he'd booked an appointment for yesterday.

She hadn't reacted particularly badly to the nose ringed that now adorned his face, but then again she hadn't loved it either. Mrs Iero wasn't a conservative kind of mother like Mrs Toro and Mrs Way, she was more laid back and Frank had come to assume this was from the seven ex husbands she'd had that had brought forth her general disregard for typical family values and structure.

In Frank's mind, this was a good thing - he'd definitely have a lip ring than some shitty stepfather any day.

He did mind just a little that he didn't have a clue as to whom his father actually was, especially when both of his best friends had happily married parents and even siblings at that. It was just Frank and his mum at home, and hopefully soon to be the dog she'd promised to buy him if he passed his exams, however with all the time Mikey was forcing the three of them to waste staying behind at netball practices in order just to catch a vague glance of Alicia Simmons in a mini skirt, Frank was pretty sure he'd been getting D grades at best.