Chapter 11: The Meeting

^^Above is Athena's outfit for the day.
My first month of senior year flew by before I knew it. It was already the end of September, which means I'm going to be seeing my mom soon. Great, I thought. I really, really, really don't want to see my mom.

She left us and didn't even give my dad an explanation why. My gut was telling me that I knew why she left, but I'm ignoring it because if it's true then that means it's my fault that she left. Today was the last Friday in September and I had arranged to meet with my mother tomorrow. We were supposed to meet in this small cafe just outside the city.

Right now I'm sitting on the bleachers in PE wondering what I'm going to do when I see her. Knowing me, I'll probably do something stupid like freak out on her or toss a drink at her. I get my temper from my mother. It's one thing I don't like about myself.

"Hey. Why don't you come join my game of basketball?" I looked over at Leo who had sat down next to me some time while I was spacing out and laughed in his face.

"Me? Play basketball? No thank you. I would like to keep my face just the way it is," I replied. "Suit yourself. I just saw you over here and you looked bored." Leo looked down at his shoes and sighed. This silence was getting more awkward by the second. "So, is that all you wanted?" I asked.

"Not really. I wanted to know what you are doing tomorrow?" My eyes widened when he asked me this. Why did he want to know? It isn't any of his business. My mind flashed back to the meeting with my mother and my face hardened. "I'm busy," I grumbled.

His face fell.

"Oh well. What I was going to say doesn't matter. I hope whatever you are doing you are having fun."

"I doubt it," I mumbled under my breath.

Some of the guys playing basketball were waving at Leo, telling him to come back to the game. "Looks like I have to go. See you around AJ."

He leaped down the bleachers and over to his friends.

I couldn't help it. My heart skipped a beat at hearing him call me AJ. I always got angry at him when he called me AJ, but deep down I really didn't mind. It's just a stupid childhood nickname anyway.

I know some girls hate it when they got called nicknames but Leo was stuck on this one and I knew he was never going to stop calling me AJ so  might as well stop fighting it. The only nicknames I absolutely hate are babe and honey. They just gross me out.

At least he doesn't call me those names.

---

Saturday morning rolled around way too quickly.

It felt like somebody had skipped ahead to this day just to torment me. My father was already up and making breakfast for Via and I. My stomach howled like a wolf at the moon when the scent of bacon drifted into my room. Damn, my dad really knows how to make me get out of bed. He probably did this on purpose, knowing I wouldn't want to get up today.

My feet carried me down the stairs and into the kitchen as my mind though about what was to come. "I made you some bacon and eggs. There's apple or orange juice in the fridge. Take your pick," he said as he slid a plate over to me. I mumbled a thanks and dug in.

Half an hour later I was showered and standing in front of my closet in just a towel, trying to decide what to where.

If I'm being honest, I'm really nervous. I haven't seen my mother in years, so I have no idea what to expect. Maybe she got married again and has another kid that I don't know about. My heart aches at the thought, but it's a very real possibility.