Chapter Two: Another Pleasant Coincidence

Ashley was lost in her thoughts

Ashley was lost in her thoughts. She leaned the side of her head against the cold glass of the car window, staring aimlessly at the trees blurring past her. She could almost see him in her mind. Tilting her head a bit, she threw a gaze at the sky. Its ocean blue color made her think of his gorgeous eyes. His hair was almost as white as the clouds that hang above. Last night, Richard kept sneaking into her thoughts; just like he did back at the cliff. A devious half-smile crept its way across Ashley's face. He didn't sneak up on you. He said the cliff was a place he'd sworn never return to, implying that he had been there before. Richard being there was just a coincidence.

Ashley's body jolted and she hit her forehead against the window when a sudden ear-piercing honk came from the car. Her mouth opened but no cry came out.

"Earth to Ashley!" Samantha called, still punching her palm on the car horn.

With her palm cupped on her forehead, Ashley turned to face her friend.

"A little warning next time— ouch!" The area near her right temple throbbed. Ashley bit her lower lip as she felt the stinging pain slowly begin to fade. "You better pray this doesn't leave a bump."

"I wouldn't worry about that." Samantha angled her head slightly and her oval-shaped face twisted into a 'for-your-information' look. "After all, you have 'super' healing abilities."

Shaking her head, Ashley suppressed a chuckle. Samantha's long black hair was dancing to motion of the cool wind blowing into the car. She wore a fabulous white top and stylish deep-red jeans. A sweet warmth rose within Ashley's chest when she thought of how lucky— how blessed— she was to have such an amazing person as her best friend. Samantha was the first friend Ashley made after moving to Ravenhill with her mom twelve years ago. She had a sort of childish personality that Ashley always found adorable. Sam was the type of girl who tended to not take a lot of things seriously but excelled extraordinarily at anything she set her mind on.

Ashley sunk into her seat and sighed.

"Sam... For the bazillionth time, there is nothing 'super' about my healing" she said. "I just make sure my body is in perfect health and it rewards me back by functioning as efficiently as possible. Yours would too if you'd just lay off on the junk food."

"And starve myself... no way. Besides I can prove you have super healing. Yes! How 'bout a quick test?" Samantha gripped the steering wheel and made a right, taking the road that led to school.

"What test?" Ashley was afraid to even imagine what her best friend was about to say.

"Your right hand please."

Ashley rolled her eyes as she reluctantly spread her fingers. There was a patch of newly formed pinkish skin— almost the shape of a small circle— in the middle of her palm. She folded her hand into a fist; a gesture she could barely accomplish yesterday. A weak smile appeared across her face. There was nothing 'super' about how her body healed she thought. But Sam did have a point. Excluding the chimera tattoo on the back of her left shoulder, no injury Ashley had ever sustained left her with a scar.