Chapter Nine: The Master's Message

Sebastian exhaled deeply as he tightly gripped the cold, metal door handle. He was now beginning to wonder if this was a good idea. A green Coley's Dinner neon sign flashed above the transparent glass door.

Is this what she calls herself these days? Sebastian thought, chuckling.

He pushed the door open and walked into the diner. It was quaint, with an old fashioned atmosphere. Most of the chairs and tables were made of wood and the room was fairly lit. Sebastian could hear the humans' indinstinct chatter as he made his way towards the counter.  

For a vampire who fed on humans, Claudia sure knew how to serve them. Sebastian could feel it in their auras. It was like the place itself gave each and everyone a certain level of peace that most in the diner clearly needed.

Sebastian walked to the counter and took a seat.

"I'm sorry Sebastian but we don't have anything for your kind on our menu," a woman in a white apron said.

Sebastian felt his heart jump. The woman stood facing the other way but that voice... that voice still frightened him.

He gathered himself.

"Don't you mean our kind," Sebastian replied, almost swallowing. He had to choose his words carefully. They were the bridge between him leaving this place alive or having his head torn off... and Claudia could easily do it before he even blinked.

Claudia finally turned to face him. She looked the same as she did four hundred years ago; golden hair, brown eyes, pale skin, and her red lips were curved into the devious smile.

"You know... in all my years I have never met someone who seeks death more than you do," she said, pouring him a drink from a bottle labeled whiskey.

"Coming from someone who has lived for over ten thousand years I will take that as a compliment," Sebastian said, taking a sip. The drink burned his chest. It had been a while since he tasted some of the earth's best-bottled delicacies.

"What are you guys talking about?" a man in a suit sitting next to Sebastian said, sounding rather confused voice. Sebastian didn't even notice him.

Claudia slowly grabbed the young's man's wrist and stared right into his eyes.

"Now Derek..." Claudia said. "You won't remember ever meeting me or our little discussion today... Also, I'm sure your reporting skills will lead you to the perfect story someday, so keep chasing your dream and stop wasting away your life beneath a bottle. Now go."

The guy rose from his chair and left the diner.

"Compulsion... Still popular even these days I see," Sebastian said.

"It's one of the burdens that we as dark creatures all have to carry," Claudia replied in a low voice. "So why did you come here, Sebastian? Last time we met I clearly told you not to involve me in any of you and your master's affairs."

"I need the keys of Zoria," Sebastian stated.

Claudia stopped whatever it was she was doing. Her fingers were curled into fists and veins popped across her face.

"I should tear your heart out right where you stand Sebastian," Claudia said in a firm and low voice. "So the rumors are true then... You have gone insane thinking that you can revive your so-called master... I wonder why you even hold such loyalty for him when it was because of him that you lost everything... including your own soul."

"Claudia I don't care how powerful you are but if you dare speak ill of Lord Ethan I swear you will..."

"Hey Coley!" a voice shouted. It came from the diner's entrance.