Chapter Nineteen: At Peace In The Darkness

"You fool!"

After just receiving a slap from his father, Adrian's face was burning with pain. The man raised his huge hand again, his palms still red. This time Adrian's mother came in and tried to stop him.

"George please!" she pleaded, standing in between the two of them. "He's had enough."

Adrian's father pushed his mother away and she would have fallen if Adrian hadn't sprung from his kneeling position and caught her.

"Three weeks boy," his father said, his huge nostrils getting wider as his breathing deepened. "It has been three weeks since you declared that you would kill that demon, Richard Thane. What... Do you think the Jarand Hanat is a joke?"

Adrian quickly knelt in front of his father and bowed his head.

"Father please! I would never think... I just..."

"You are just an incompetent fool," his father snarled. "Just like your pathetic uncle."

Just bear it Adrian thought. His head was still facing the ground and his fingers were beginning to dig into his palms and at the same time was trying to stop tears from following out of his eyes.

"George..."

"Tonight," Adrian said, interrupting whatever his mother was about to say. "Tonight, I will bring you the Fire Demon's head."

Adrian was already in his Hunter's uniform and was just waiting, to get out this place.

"Tonight right?" his father asked, rubbing his palm across his large chin.

"I swear on my honor as a Hunter and as your son," Adrian continued. "I will destroy Richard Thane before midnight."

"Raise your head," his father said.

Adrian didn't know what it was. Maybe it was the look in his own eyes or maybe it was the conviction flowing out of his words but whatever it was, Adrian father seemed to believe him.

No other words needed to be said... At least that's what Adrian thought until his father said, "Silva Drathvir is outside... She says she wanted to personally see you in action."

Adrian felt his muscles go numb. Silvia Drathvir, one of the seven Grandmasters was here?

"Well don't keep her waiting," his father said, sounding more elated.

Adrian raised his head and stood up. His mother caught his hand before he could take another step. Adrian assured her that he would be fine and he slid open the brown wooden door. As Adrian walked through the long corridor he observed at the decorative portraits that hung on the wall. He stopped and stared at his favorite.

Adrian stared intensely at the silhouetted figure of a man in a coat holding what Adrian always thought was a sword. The painting itself was thousands of years old and was said to have been made by the very first Hunter. The first Hunter, Salazar Drathvir, made seven exact paintings, each kept by a Grandmaster. The only reason it was in this house was that the Hunters were still deciding on whether Adrian's father should be removed from the seat as a Grandmaster. Apparently, the painting held some special secret that was said to be some ultimate weapon against evil.

With a smile, while shaking his head, Adrian walked past the huge living room and went to the door. Waiting for him outside was a slim young woman with long black hair, dark skin, and razor-sharp brown eyes. In appearance, she looked like she was in her early thirties. She wore a long black leather coat, jeans and held a sheathed katana in her left hand. Her face was expressionless and staring into the night sky.