Chapter Ten: The Hunter's Way

Twenty-seven days till the solstice

"No! Plea..."

Adrian mercilessly drove his stake through the vampire's heart. Its canines and claws retracted and the blood-red color of its eyes disappeared. The vampire had the face of a man in his mid-thirties and was significantly taller than Adrian. This vampire was new to Salem; Adrian could tell. First Richard and now this... The supernatural presence in Salem was increasing; as if something was drawing them here.

"Captain look out!"

Adrian dove to his left, dodging the fatal claws of another vampire. He rolled and was upon his feet. This one was a female and appeared to be both young and inexperienced.

Four people in black leather hoods came and stood next to Adrian. Like him they all had masks to cover their faces, only their eyes could be seen. They were his subordinates, no... his teammates.

"Captain," a female voice said. It was Adrian's Lieutenant, Emery Hughes. Despite being seven years older than Adrian, she still gave him the respect any Lieutenant would have given to their Captain. The only time he had to call her Ms. Hughes was during Chemistry because she had been teaching at Ravenhill High ever since the term started.

"Everybody with me," Adrian ordered. "More are coming."

Six figures came out of the shadows cast by the night. They all flashed their sharp white fangs and made animalistic growls. The young female vampire that had attacked Adrian stood up, crying.

"Why?" she asked, in a sobbing voice. "Why!"

She dashed at Adrian with inhuman speed. But it wasn't enough. Adrian quickly unsheathed the sword on his back and slashed it across the vampire's neck. Her head was severed from the body. The six that had appeared began to retreat after seeing Adrian's black sword. The Black Sword... The only enchanted weapon the Hunters carried. Created by taking ordinary swords and soaking them in Tormentor's blood, the Black Swords were weapons that caused unimaginable pain. Even the smallest nick was enough to kill a human. Captains like Adrian were the only ones allowed to carry these weapons.

"After them!" Emery shouted.

Four of Adrian's teammates went after the vampires... Emery remained with him.

"Captain, thirty new supernaturals in the past three days alone," Emery said, walking towards Adrian.

"Something is drawing them here," Adrian replied, sheathing his sword.

"It's him, isn't it," Emery stated. "The one they call the Spawn of Hell..."

"Death and destruction follow Richard Thane," Adrian replied. "But not these creatures... something else is bringing them here."

Adrian paused for a while. Could it be? He thought. Could it be that the rumors were true? That the reason Richard came to Salem in the first place was that he was hunting a creature far more dangerous and powerful than he was?

Last year the hunters formed an alliance with Richard in order to kill something. Whatever this creature was, the Hunters never revealed any details about it. All Adrian knew was that the creature was indeed killed but at a price. His uncle was one of the Hunters that joined forces with Richard and he lost his life... killed by the very monster he had allied himself with. The rest of the Hunters that survived never spoke of what happened. Adrian's father, the man who suggested the alliance with Richard in the first place, lost his position and place among the Hunters because of it.

Adrian's fingers curled tightly against the hilt of his sword, a burning sensation coursing through his palms.

"Come on," he said to his Lieutenant and followed the rest of his teammates.