Chapter Seven: Prophesy

The serene look on Ashley nearly made Richard forget the circumstances that led to him bringing her into the school's infirmary

The serene look on Ashley nearly made Richard forget the circumstances that led to him bringing her into the school's infirmary. Covered in a white hospital blanket, her chest steadily rose and fell as she slept soundly with her head laid on a soft pillow. The school was in turmoil. Everyone in the school was as yet shaken from the incident that happened in the cafeteria. Sirens were howling outside, noisy strides repeated in the hallways and Richard had enhanced his hearing to tune in for anyone approaching the infirmary.

Evading the risk of anyone finding out the truth about Ashley, Richard didn't even consider informing Adrian of what happened even if he could hear him desperately calling for Ashley. Adrian was a Hunter— a Hunter of the supernatural and one who hated the supernatural society with his whole being. If he found Ashley in the state she was now then he would know... he would know what Ashley truly was.

From the moment he met her, Richard knew there was something peculiar about Ashley. Yesterday, when the urge to feed overtook his body, it felt... different. Richard had learnt to control his lust for human blood. He hadn't directly fed from a human for over seven hundred years. But when immediately he got a whiff of Ashley's blood, his dark instinct took over, moving his body involuntarily towards its prey. Fortunately, he did manage to overcome the bloodlust but lingering in the back of his mind was the question; why did he get such an intense feeling in the first place?

Today, Richard got a disturbing answer to his question. The reason he was desperately drawn to Ashley's blood was because it was the blood of a human. Earlier in the cafeteria, as he saw Ashley begin to collapse, Richard had hastened towards her and taken her away from the crowd without anyone noticing. However, as she gradually lost consciousness... as her eyelids slowly closed, Richard gazed into them; and everything changed at that moment. His entire body went numb, his brain went blank, unable to process what was right before him.

In Ashley's eyes, Richard saw something he was once warned about. Something that shook him to his very core.

The blue glow... Ashley had it in her eyes.

The second he laid eyes on that glow Richard's mind was taken back nine hundred years ago.

"Even after you defeat him, The Chimera will return! One day you'll gaze upon a mermaid having the blue glow in her eyes and on the Solstice follows she will be the one who ensures it."

Those were the words of Talya; the Sea-Witch who fashioned the dagger Richard used to defeat Ethan. Talya was a mermaid with immense magical power and abilities. Only one other thing that surpassed her power; her love for Richard. Using this to his advantage, Richard exploited her to create the dagger and later betrayed her and everyone involved in the ritual. The last time Richard saw Talya was when she was being hauled to Drenagen; an underwater prison were only the worst of lawbreakers spent the remainder of their lives.

As a punishment, she screamed that prophesy at him, her voice tainted with all the hatred and contempt she had within her. Talya did get what she deserved but as justified as Richard's actions were, he still regretted seeing how hurt she was. Her face was burning with anger and her eyes were red with tears— beseeching him to help her— as the Drenagen Guards took her away. Richard's heart arched that day. He knew that all the atrocities Talya had committed were all because of her affection towards him. She wanted to see him happy— free of Ethan— and she was prepared do whatever it took to realize her goal but unfortunately, so was Richard.