Chapter Five: A Fair Warning

"I wonder what could have caused all that dust in the woods," Luke said, staring at the thick cloud of brown dust rising in the distance

"I wonder what could have caused all that dust in the woods," Luke said, staring at the thick cloud of brown dust rising in the distance. He shrugged, turned, and fixed his brown eyes towards Richard; giving him a very questioning look.

"So Richard," Luke said, bouncing his basketball "You still haven't told us how you and Ashley know each other."

Richard moved his head in Ashley's direction; hoping she could help him out. But Ashley had only an embarrassed look on her face. She held both straps of her dark red bag and flashed a beautiful, heart-stirring smile at him. An interrogation from Ashley's friends wasn't something on Richard's list of plans today but Ashley appeared to be enjoying it.

"Well, um... we met yesterday," Richard finally said.

He saw Ashley's jaw almost drop. Perhaps he wasn't supposed to reveal that.

"Yesterday you say..." This time it was the one named Robert who spoke. He walked past Richard and stood in front of Ashley. "Well, that's interesting Ashley. You spent most of the day with us. And we were all went left the beach at six in the evening. So I'm curious Ashley, why didn't you tell us about your... new friend? Unless you met him later in the night! Don't tell me Adrian's has already been replaced... Ashley how could—?"

A choked cough escaped Robert's mouth after receiving a blow in the stomach from Ashley's elbow.

"Geez Robert, you just never know when to shut your mouth, do you?" Ashley said, walking towards the school building.

"Serves you right," Luke said as he laughed at Robert, who was now on his knees mimicking a person about to die.

Richard truly admired the bond Ashley shared with her friends. They were all happy to be around her; Richard could read it in their bright auras but he could also see it in both their shining eyes and smiles. A bond like this was something he wanted— something he had been searching for all these millennia. But it was something he could never have; especially not with these good people. How could he allow himself to get close to anyone? He was immortal and someday they would notice that he never aged; someday he would have to leave this town. Besides, there was the fact that the very substance that flowed through their veins was what Richard fed on for sustenance.

He shook his head and diverted his thoughts towards the school. This was his first time attending a human learning institution and Richard didn't know what to expect. Of course, he had acquired an education back when he was a merman. But being born in the royal family, and together with the fact that he was a water element master, Richard attained knowledge quite differently from ordinary merfolk.

When he was five years old, Richard was required to choose a Guide. Guides were responsible for teaching children of the royal families the ways of the world. They were skilled at almost everything; science, literature, alchemy, stone carving, fighting, and some were even element masters. Guides would spend exactly twenty years with their apprentices and would be rewarded according to how well the apprentice developed.