Chapter Twenty-Four: I Will Find Her

Standing on this cliff brought back a lot of memories. It was almost sunrise and Ethan kept staring at the horizon. A gentle ocean breeze was blowing, whipping his hair across his face.

Ethan raised his hand towards his bare chest. Only a year had passed since Richard pierced that dagger into his heart. It was on this very cliff that Richard defeated him or rather... it was on this cliff that Ethan let Richard defeat him.

It was supposed to go flawlessly but Ethan had greatly underestimated the loyalty Sebastian had towards hm. Now, Ethan's plan was ruined. If only a year had passed then it meant that she was still alive.

Still, this wasn't all bad he thought with a smirk. In fact, Ethan's awakening couldn't have happened at a better time. It was once thought impossible but Ethan had finally met a half-breed; one born from the union between a human and a merman. Ashley Morgan... Her unique may be of great use to me someday, he thought.

Electric crackling suddenly rambled behind Ethan and when he turned he saw an Arzyrian female holding a child. The child looked rather ill, with dark circles around his eyes and black veins across his blue-skinned body. Ethan knew of only one thing that could have caused this.

"It's been ages since I saw an Arzyrian," he said as they walked towards him. "And who might you be?"

The Arzyrian had long blue hair, was very much taller than him and wore plain Arzyrian robes. With the child in her hand, she walked to Ethan, fell down to her knees and bowed her head.

"My name is Shira and this is my son, Rona," she said, sobbing a little. "I was the one who used the Orb to awaken the Chimera... to awaken you."

Ethan raised his brows in astonishment.

"Being an Arzyrian, I am sure you were taught to fear the Chimera even as a child... So why would you do that?" he asked.

Shira raised her head and said, "What I did was not for myself but for my son's sake. A few earth days ago, Sebastian came to Arzyria and poisoned my little boy with venom that only comes from your bite. It's known to have no cure but when I held the memory orb, I saw Sebastian tell me that the only cure was..."

"My blood," Ethan finished. "But in the state I was before, it would have been useless to you."

He smiled at her and said, "Centuries ago, I gave Sebastian that venom and told him to use it on Richard if anything should ever happen to me. I guess he found another use for it."

"Please save my son," Shira cried. "He only has a few hours left and..."

"You made a deal with Sebastian not with me," Ethan said. When he saw the desperation in the Arzyrian's glowing white eyes he smiled and said, "But fortunately for you, I am in your debt. You, after all, brought me back into this world."

Ethan's canines lengthened slightly. He bit through his palm, puncturing his skin. Warm dark red blood came out and Ethan offered it to the little boy standing next to his mother.

"It's okay Rona," Shira said, holding her son's hand. "It will make you feel better."

The boy pressed his cold lips on Ethan's palm and the blood. The black veins across his body slowly began to fade way and his skin tone began to darken, turning into the normal shade of blue the Arzyrian's skin possessed.

"Just make sure he doesn't die within the day," Ethan said as the wound on his palm closed.

Shira rose to her feet.

"Before you leave, I want you to answer some questions," Ethan said. "First, how did you manage to teleport into Prodeth when you've never been there?"

"When I stopped the orb from reaching the portal, I touched the waters and that was all I needed to read the portal's magical signature."

"And where is the orb now?"

"When I used the orb, it absorbed the power of the dagger and disappeared," Shira answered. "Even I don't know where it is."

Ethan sighed and said, "Then that will be all."

"Tell Richard I am sorry for what I did," Shira said.

Ethan chuckled.

"I doubt my little brother has a heart of forgiveness but who knows..."

With a face filled with profound sadness and shock, Shira and her son teleported. A bright electric blue light filled the area and they disappeared from Ethan's slight.

However, Ethan had paid close attention to the boy before they left. That look he gave Ethan; one stained with rage for the humiliation his mother had go e through. It was the same look Ethan would have given the gods if he was there when his mother pleaded from mercy on behalf of the humans. After that day, everyone hailed her as a hero; the great Sea-Witch, Marina Thalassa.

Ethan's hand curled into a shaking fist and harsh winds began to blow around him. Dark clouds began to appear above the sky near him.

Mother... If they only knew the sacrifice you had to make.

Ethan took in a deep breath and calmed down. The wind subsided as well.

That Arzyrian child would never forget him, Ethan thought.

This was the fate of all who crossed paths with him he thought. Pain, misery, death... all these things followed Ethan.

In this world, however, Ethan only had one purpose.

The sun was now rising, casting a red glow in the sky. Ethan walked to the edge of the cliff, reached for a pocket in his coat and pulled out a silver necklace with a beautiful sapphire crystal hanging at its end.

"Mother... I will keep my promise to you," he said. "She is here. I can feel it. I will find her."

Yes... for her... and only for her, Ethan was willing to be the Rygeen his mother always believed he'd grow up to be.

He then sensed strange energy coming from the ground on which he stood. This aura.. he recognized it.

"You can now rest Sebastian," he said. "I have returned."

The aura faded and after those words, Ethan jumped off the cliff and dived into the ocean.

The Chimera has returned.

***

It's been a long journey

It's been a long journey. Friends were made, friends were lost... Our heroes fought as hard as they could but in the end, fate was not on their side. The Chimera is back and now we know that Richard has been keeping a secret; Ethan is actually Richard's older brother. What other lies has Richard been telling? What will Ashley do now that she knows this? Is all hope lost now that Ethan has returned?

Find out what happens next in:

LEGENDS OF THE DARK CREATURES: THE CHIMERA