Chapter Eight: The One I Can Never Lie To

It was all coming back

That day...

Eighteen months ago...

It was dark... so dark the trees were beginning to take eerie creature-like forms and the violent whispers of their leaves made Ashley uneasy. Ashley stood by a ridge, underneath the moonless sky. She folded her hands against her chest as the cold of the harsh wind slithered through her body. She had received a text from Jacob, telling her to meet him there. Waiting for almost thirty minutes now, Ashley stared at the rapids thrashing against the rocks below. Back then she thought to herself why Jacob would want to meet her at a place like this and the answer to that question came in a form Ashley would soon never forget.

At first, she heard a loud snap-the sound of a twig breaking. It came from behind her. When Ashley turned, her legs immediately lost strength and the hairs on her body stood straight. Her mouth was trembling- trying to let out a scream- but it was as if the person walking towards her was choking Ashley's neck with her wicked smile. Sharper than the gaze of her dark eyes was the large silver knife in her hand.

Panic- like a cluster of spark plugs- began to build up in Ashley's abdomen. Thoughts inside her head began to accelerate inside her head, telling her there was no escape. Behind her was a deep ridge-- just another death waiting-- and the girl in a white dress was already so close that Ashley couldn't run left or right.

Ashley couldn't even move her fingers when the person she once called friend grabbed her by the collar and raised her knife into the air. It hung there for a moment and Ashley thought; how did it all come to this? How could Stacy Hill-- someone who always stood up for Ashley-- now look at her with such a burning rage; one Ashley never thought existed in humans. Stacy was also one of the few people who accepted Ashley for who she was so why was she looking at her with immerse disdain?

Tears began to flow uncontrollably out of Ashley's eyes. She wanted to beg Stacy to stop but her mouth wouldn't open. So all she did was watch as Stacy's grip on the knife tightened, turning her knuckles white.

Raising the knife a little further in the air, Stacy finally uttered the same words she said on the day all this began:

"I cannot let you destroy us all."

"Stacy!"

Ashley's eyes shot wide open. She was breathing rapidly and her body kept shook uncontrollably as she slowly grasped the nature of her environment. 

Though had no idea of how she got there, she'd been in this room too many times to know that she was in the infirmary.

Running her hand across her eyes, Ashley tried to remember what had happened. Memories of the incident in the cafeteria came flooding back. Ashley remembered collapsing during the confusion and-

A presence...

Her right hand instinctively jolted to her left and Ashley found herself clasping another hand by the wrist. She turned and saw Sara. Sara's big brown eyes displayed both shock and anguish, making Ashley realize just how firmly she gripped Sara's hand.