Chapter Three: An Old Foe

Say something to her today, Adrian thought to himself

Say something to her today, Adrian thought to himself. His constant pacing wasn't much help in coming up with an excuse to give Ashley this time. It never really occurred to him that things would get this bad between them. When his father told him what he really was, he never said anything about the sacrifices he would have to be making.

"Being a Hunter means you protect our town and those in it at all costs."

Those were his father's exact words. Adrian's lips curved into a half-smile. I should've paid more attention to the 'at all costs' part, he thought.

He lowered his head, placed both of his hands in the pockets of his black leather jacket and went to sit on a small wooden bench near the school entrance. At least now he understood why he was constantly trained in the art of combat ever since he was a child. But the existence of Hunters and supernatural beings wasn't supposed to have been revealed to him until he turned eighteen.

Adrian's face fell to the ground and a deep sadness overtook him as he remembered his late uncle. He died last year. He was murdered, Adrian corrected. He right hand squeezed the fingers on his left one. The night after his uncle's funeral, Adrian's father and mother had a heated argument. They kept spouting nonsense about a Fire Demon and a Chimera and how his uncle helped save the realms. And then he heard them mention his name-- the name of the creature that killed his uncle. Adrian had stormed in and demanded that they tell him everything. Adrian's parents knew how much he loved and adored his uncle. They revealed everything; even showing him a picture of the one who took his uncle away from him.

One day, Adrian thought as he leaned against the bench. I will hunt him down.

He looked at his shiny black wristwatch and let out a vanquished and weary sigh. Ashley would soon be here. They hadn't spoken for almost a week now, and even though he was with her yesterday, he couldn't bring himself to speak to her. How could he? Ashley may have been by far the most kind and patient person he knew but eventually everyone reaches a point where their patience runs out

You could always just tell her that you are part of a secret group of humans who protect the world from supernatural threats, Adrian thought, trying to cheer himself. But how would he do so without sounding like a total nutcase? And wasn't telling ordinary humans about the supernatural prohibited by one of those crazy rules the Hunters had?

Adrian looked around and watched as his fellow students walked aimlessly around the school grounds.

If only they knew.

"Knew what?"

Adrian's heart almost jumped out of his chest but he still managed to maintain his composure. Apparently he was thinking out loud. He turned and saw Robert. The guy was in his usual lively mood; wearing a dark gray hoodie and white slacks. His arched eyebrows, dark eyes and dyed black hair screamed someone without any cares in this world and that was a pretty definite way of describing Robert Marshall.