Chapter Ten

Sorry for no Halloween Special, muh dudes. Kind of, uh, lost internet then my phone took a dump. But I got a new phone for Christmas! Yay!

First Person P.O.V.
Cicero

I was walking throughout town, Katherine having left me to scout out another town a few hours away at least. She never did like being in one place for too long, so I let her.

At the edge of this town, Merdorsitty, lies a vast forest that I now stand just outside of. The townsfolk call the forest a death trap, Deathsong Forest to be exact.

This place gives me the creeps.

'How the hecc does that work? I thought nothing scared you,' a small voice in my head mutters in sad disappointment.

'Simple. He's scared of everything but never cares to admit it,' a second voice says in response to the first.

'Could you guys shut up? I think you're making him angry. That's not something we need right now, anyways,' a third seems to shout over the other two, silencing them all.

I let out a small huff of annoyance. "How did I get stuck with such annoying voices?"

'Hey, I'm not happy to be here either, pal.' 'Shhhhhhhh!'

With a deep breath to keep myself from punching the nearest tree, I head into the vast forest. Maybe I can find some squirrels to squish.

'Squirrel squishing is always fun!'

Heading deeper, I hear a scream from within. It was loud and clear, close but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go in the direction of the sound. For all I know, I could be hearing things... I never was all that good with logic.

After I heard the scream again, I didn't hesitate before running deeper and towards the sound of terror. I run into a clearing where someone stands, hovering over a terrified girl who looked bloody. But it's not her own blood, the blood belongs to the man who now turns towards me.

He had no right eye, and his left was boodshot. He stumbles towards me before collapsing with a gasp. It's only then that I notice he has a hatchet in his side. Turning, I run away from the scene for it is under control. This isn't my story, after all. It's yours.

First Person P.O.V.
(Y/N)

It's been nearly a month, and nothing weird has happened lately. I assume the worst is over and everything can go back to the same boring way it was before. Honestly, I think I prefer boring over fukking terrifying or flat out strange.

I was walking down the street after going to get some things from the store, bags in both of my hands, when I'm approached by a rough looking man.

The man had no right eye and when his left looked at me, I could see it was boodshot. Alarmed, I dropped my bags and pulled out my phone to call an ambulance. Before I could dial anything, the man grabbed my wrist roughly and, coughing harshly between words, began to whisper.

"I saw him. He was beautiful. Then they tried to take him away. They tried to take me away. I refused to let them."

My brows knit together in my confusion, trying to figure out if this man was confused or simply mad. He could be in shock but I don't think this is what shock looks like.

"Sir, I need to call the police, or the ambulance at least, you're hurt!"

His grip on my arm tightened, and I began wishing that I hadn't decided to be so nice. I wish I had just grabbed my shopping bags and ran home so I wouldn't be in this mess.

His left eye stared into my own eyes, his pupil dilating. The man's breath was shaky and rank of alcohol and something else I couldn't quite place. This guy must be drunk and high.

He leans forward, whispering quieter than he did before.

"You can see him, too. Just give up an eye, and you can see."

His other hand flew up, a pocket knife in it. Without hesitation, I throw my knee into his gut before he can make contact and book it. I don't get far before he roars in frustration and comes stumbling after me.

I don't even think twice before running towards the line of trees off to the side, Deathsong Forest ready to take me into its arms and hide me away. I'll either die from that man stabbing me, or die from the legendary forest's wrath.

Tumbling into the trees and stumbling over underbrush, I hear the man running in behind me. He doesn't bother to be silent as he pursues me with a determined stride that he lacked before when running towards the forest.

I stumble into a clearing before I trip, cursing up a storm as I look behind me. The man enters the clearing just as I look back, causing me to scream in alarm while I stumble backwards and against a rock.

He approaches, raising his arm with the pocket knife to stab me. Its then I realize that I shouldn't be so terrified, yet I feel fear overflowing all of my senses, keeping me rooted to the spot. It's almost like I'm unable to feel anything else but fear and adrenaline dancing through my veins.

"You. Will. See."

Before the man can take another step, a hatchet comes barreling through the clearing and hits the man in the side. He stumbles baclwards as I let out a scream. I'm not sure why I screamed, It just felt like the right thing to do at this time. Don't fukking judge me.

The man before me turns around at the sound of someone entering the clearing before collapsing. Whoever or whatever he turned towards disappeared as soon as they entered, obviously not wanting to deal with this situation.

I stand as another figure approaches the, now dead, man before me. He pulls the hatchet out and he doesn't have to turn around for me to know it was Toby. The same Toby who's pretty much saved me twice now. God damn, I seriously need to up my game.

Toby turns towards me, eyes glittering beneath his goggles before he walks over. He looks like he may be about to say something before sirens could be heard approaching the edge of the forest followed by the sounds of car doors slamming and the shouts of voices.

Toby looks at me for a long moment before reaching out a hand. An invitation, but for what exactly? My confusion must be readable upon my face, because he answers that very question.

"Would you like to join me and stay where it's safer, or go home?"

I stare at his hand, hesitant. He urges me to choose.

"Won't you stay?"

Why does he want me to stay? We barely know each other. He did save my life, but why now? Why wait a month to ask me to come with him? To 'hang out' or something? When has my life gotten so confusing and why is it starting to revolve around this one boy?

Maybe it was idiocy that made me choose, or maybe it was pure curiosity for the unknown. But as I press my hand into his, I don't really think I give a shit.

Let the fun begin, right?

:)

Sure, let the fun begin. Let's see how many words it takes me to bring it all crashing down.