Chapter 1

"Hey Vi, I know I keep doing this to you but would you mind watching the kids for a couple of hours? The girls have got plans last minute, you know what they're like." Beth's voice sounded stressed on the phone.

"Of course! I'm just leaving work now I can be there in fifteen tops." My heels clicked as I continued my journey to the car park where my gorgeous Audi sat waiting for me. I hopped in and pulled onto the motorway. "The traffic is super light so make that ten minutes."

"You are a lifesaver, Vi. What on Earth would I do without you?" She breathed a small sigh and I could faintly hear the kids arguing behind her. "Hey! Guess who's coming to take care of you tonight?" All went silent. "Aunty Violet!" Screeches erupted and I giggled lightly. "Thanks again."

"No worries! See you soon." I hung up the phone but my mind kept racing afterward. Something seemed off about Beth, her voice was urgent, panicky almost. I made a mental note to ask what was wrong when I arrived.

I pulled into the driveway and was greeted by the four little munchkins running out to greet me in the driveway. They were all yelling their greetings and fighting over who out of them were my favourite. I gave them all a hug and bright smile before letting it drop in an act, pretending to look shocked.

"Oh god I completely forgot your presents! I had a whole bunch of iPads left over at the office, gosh I must have left them there by mistake!" The look that washed over their faces was nothing short of priceless, their smiles fell and Danny looked like he was about to cry. I apologized, making my way to the boot of the car, clicking it open to reveal their real gift, it had been left in there since stocktake last week. "Well I guess this Xbox will have to do." I retrieved it and handed it to the four of them.

"The new Xbox! Mum look! Aunty Vi got us the new Xbox!" They ran to show it to their mother who gave me a stern look with the hint of a smile.

"What do you say?" She gives them all a warning glance and they turn back to me.

"Thanks Aunty Vi!" I got tackled in hugs, giving Beth a questioning look as I say her wipe a stray tear from her eye.

"No problem gremlins, take it to the lounge room and I'll help set it up when your mum leaves ok?" The three younger ones ran off, leaving just Kenny in front of me.

"Aunty Vi?" He signaled for me to bend down to hear him. "Can you help mum? She was crying in the lounge room with Aunty Annie this afternoon." I looked at him incredulously, trying to find an excuse so he didn't worry.

"Oh you didn't hear? The bachelor was on last night! Your mum's favourite character got eliminated. She called to tell me this morning, it's no biggie." With that he nodded and joined the others inside. Beth looked curious and met me at the car.

"Is Kenny okay?" She asks in concern.

"Are you?" She looks confused so I rephrase. "Kenny saw you crying with Annie this afternoon, you have fresh tear stains and your voice sounded panicked on the phone. I told Kenny that your favourite Bachelor contested got eliminated but I'm not that gullible so spill it."

"It's nothing really, just some trouble with Dean is all." My concern rose slightly.

"What has he done this time? I swear he picked up all the stupid genes and left me with all the common sense." I chuckled at my brother's usual lack of intelligence.

"He picked up the infidelity genes too it seemed." With that her eyes watered again and my eyes widened in surprise. I pull her into a hug and realize that Annie and Ruby are standing in the entranceway.

"Are you sure? I mean my brother would never-"

"He's screwing his assistant." My mind flashed to the brain dead woman he'd hired last year and pieced it together in my head.

"Oh my god, Beth I'm so sorry. I hope you know that I would never condone such vile behaviour from him." She sobbed harder into my shoulder and I'm genuinely gobsmacked about my brother's actions. How could he? He had children, my nieces and nephews to take care of. Not even mentioning the gorgeous wife he's been blessed with. "I'll kill him next time I see him."

"You and me both babe." Ruby exclaims with a chuckle.

"We're taking her out to give her a break you know?" Annie pipes in and I shoot her a smile.

"Well what's a night out without free drinks and no responsibility? A personal friend of mine owns that bar 'Tequila Mockingbird' I'll give her a call, she'll take great care of you." I offer, Beth pulls out of the hug.

"No we couldn't ask you to-"

"Wait 'Tequila Mockingbird'?" I nod. "That's one of the best places in the state! That's where they do the cool tricks with the shots and everything right?" Annie is over the moon with excitement.

"That's the one. My friend will be so glad you've heard of it." I chuckle lightly.

"Heard of it? It's infamous for having like the most expensive drinks ever." Beth and Ruby look at her with a roll of their eyes. Annie pulls up some pictures from the website and all of a sudden they seem way more on board. "And you're sure that your friend wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not! Her and I have been friends for years, I think it's her turn for a favour anyway." Beth wiped her tears. "Besides, I feel responsible for this anyway, I should have caught Dean's ass and kick it back into gear." I dial Danielle's number as I speak/

"It's not your-" I hold a finger up as the phone is answered.

"Danielle? Hey babe it's Vi. Oh you know, work is work. Listen as much as I love our chats I've called for a favour. No worry it's only a little one." I look at the three in front of me and give them a reassuring wink. "Well you know my brother? Yes that's the one. Well he's decided that it was a good idea to screw his assistant. No, no that won't be necessary, trust me if it gets to that point I'll be doing that myself." I hold the phone from ear. "Danielle thinks that its his loss and that you are a hot mama." I state and Beth looks slightly chuffed. "So do you think we could set her and her friends up for a great night out? I knew you could pull something together. You are an absolute gem! I'll pop in and visit soon ok? Oh and you'll know who they are, they'll be driving my Audi, you know the one. Perfect, thank you. Byeee."

The three of them looked baffled, completely stunned for it to have been that easy. I tossed Beth the keys to the Audi, a car she's always wanted but Dean was always far too broke to provide and she would never except my gifts. "Damn Violet you really came through." Ruby exclaimed and I smiled.

"Well I've been cleaning up Dean's messes since we were children, the least I can do is give you a good night out." Beth pulls me into another hug.

"Thank you, really." She pulled away and wiped a tear.

"You're very welcome. Now go have fun! I've got the kids, I'll get a driver to meet you there and drive you home."

"Awesome!" Annie hypes the other girls up. "Why not? You need this Beth and quite frankly, so do we."

"That's what I like to hear. Get out of here and have a great night!" They take me up on the offer and head to my car, Beth in the drivers seat.

I wave them off and join the kids in figuring how to set up the Xbox.

"How do we feel about Pizza for dinner?" I ask.

"PIZZA!"