Chapter 24

It seems that our brief honeymoon stage was all but ended as I was woken up to the sound of my blaring ringtone. We'd planned to have the day off so the thought of being interrupted sparked frustration. I answered with an unimpressed groan to hear Candace on the other side of the call.

"This better be important Candace." I warned as I felt Rio stirring beside me.

"You're really going to want to come in for this one." She sounded worried and I sat up, wrapping the blanket to my shoulders to stop the hill from biting at my exposed shoulders. "It seems that some of the rivaling company's have started poaching our clients, we caught word from one of our most loyal clients this morning and apparently they aren't the first." I hissed profanities in anger, throwing the blanket from my body and finding my work clothes.

"Just fucking fantastic." I mutter, flipping through the clothes. "Any idea who's doing the poaching?"

"From what we've been told its an alliance between the Drusky family, Harold Somberg and the Risneed sisters." I let another frustrated groan escape my lips as I finish fulling on my blouse.

"Of course. Perfect, fucking perfect!" I exclaim incredulously. God forbid I have a couple of days to myself, now the three most powerful crime groups under me form an alliance. Mr Drusky had mentioned something along the lines of it in a recent meeting but I thought I had much more time to strengthen my defenses. "Rio and I will be there in 20." With that I hung up and turned to a confused Rio. "Drusky and his goons are up to more trouble, allied with Somberg and the Risneeds." His face pales.

"For fuck sake." He sighed angrily and matched my hurried pace, throwing on the same shirt he wore last night. "What are we gonna do?" I had not a clue, for all I knew a quarter of our client base had switched to what Drusky had made them believe was a more 'stable' supplier. I should have predicted that Rio and I's relationship couldn't remain a secret, even for one night.

"Was a day of joy too much to ask." I sighed angrily. "I don't know how they are working so fast, surely our image isn't tarnished to such an extent." I shook my head attempting to brush my hair.

"Merging was supposed to ward them off, not attract them." Rio added and I turned to him with an almost shocked expression, how had we been so stupid.

"It was." I stop brushing my hair as I focus completely on him. "Except we've been so busy fighting with who owns what that we haven't properly rebranded." I almost laugh at our idiocy. "I mean no wonder they think they can poach our clients, they think we only merged cause we're screwing."

"So how do we show em different?" He questions and I take slow steps toward him.

"By setting an example." He looks me up and down quizzically. "They think that joining forces they can match our power. We just need to inform them that we have no intentions of sharing." His hands fall on my hips and draw me closer.

"Damn you're so sexy when you talk strategy." I draw him in for a sultry kiss. "So how about we show up in style, show em really who's boss." I smirk and nod, changing into a more powerful outfit and taking extra care with my hair and make up, he'd already been to his house to change and come back, this time in a much more business-looking car. It was sleek and practically bled power as I strutted my way to it. I was in a black and white ensemble with killer heels and menacing sunglasses, to really emphasise that we weren't fucking around.

We arrived at the office and took our time to reach our floor, flashing confident smiles to give the illusion that we knew what we were doing. In a way I guess we did but being able to do so before we don't have an empire to defend is a different story.

We were met with Candace at the elevator, obviously waiting for our arrival to fill us in on everything we needed to know, she looked incredibly surprised to see us looking fairly relaxed as opposed to my frantic tone over the phone but decided not to question it.