Chapter 20

The rest of that night had flashed by in a blur, I remember falling asleep and waking up to Rio gently shaking me awake. From there I recall him driving me home, exchanging a sly kiss before leaving to his own apartment much to my apparent dismay.

That left me sitting around my house, completely bored out of my mind. Due to the extra helping hands, I had barely any work to get done and quite frankly I missed the distraction. Without paper-work and conference calls I was left to ponder my utter loneliness. I haven't spoken to Annie, Beth and Ruby since the initial incident and I felt the toll of their absence, especially the kids. However, I have to admit that spending time with Rio had taken my mind off of them, over a week going by and barely thinking of the women. Speaking of Rio, maybe I won't be lonely today after all.

"Hello, Hello." I greet cheerily into the phone.

"Someone sounds like they're in a better mood." He replies making me smile unintentionally.

"Ok, I'm not fun when I'm tired you don't have to be mean about it." I pout.

"Grumpy." He taunts.

"Whatever," I grumble. "What are you doing today?" I ask, desperate for some type of plan.

"Handlin stuff with the boys." He answers and my heart falls just slightly. "Why sweetheart? Hopin to spend even more time with me?" He teases.

"You wish." I reply, covering my obvious disappointment. "Just making sure you aren't doing anything you aren't supposed to be." I add.

"Like what darlin'?" I try and rack my brain for an answer.

"Like hastling my family again." I lamely use as an excuse.

"I'm hurt you think so low of me Letta." I laugh with him before we carry on with regular conversation, casually bantering before hanging up the phone. I was left in the exact same position I started in, lonely. with a defeated sigh I decide to simply watch TV and take a much needed rest day, probably needing time to myself anyway.

The rest of my Sunday was slothlike, dragging on and full of decisions that needed to be made in the near future, I'd barely seen Dean and I felt awful about it but I couldn't bring myself to see the Bolands after Beth and I's falling out.

---

Monday finally came around and I found myself surprisingly excited to head into work, a bounce in my step and taking some extra time to style my hair a little nicer. The drive went by quicker than ever and I was in my office almost half an hour early. Rio's car spot had been empty so for the first time in a week I was alone with my workers.

They greeted me with respectful smiles and knowing glances as I strode into my office, Candace following close behind. She listed off my meetings but I could tell there was something on her mind.

"What's the matter Candace?" I question her, sitting at my desk and gesturing to the two chairs in front of me.

"Oh nothing." She trailed off looking around. "Just wondering how you've been, we haven't gotten much of a chance to talk with each other lately." She explains but I narrow my eyes not believing it for a second. She held a straight face but inevitably cracked. "Ok they all sent me in here to see what's going on with you and Rio." She blurts out and I raise my eyebrows.

"Nothing's going on, we're just colleagues" I began but was abruptly interrupted by the door separating Rio and I's office opening.

"Damn babe you're lookin fine today, thank god you're not still grumpy huh? Anyways we're catchin lunch together today cause I can't trust you to get out of this office." Rio enters the room taking a seat on my desk, tilting my head to inspect the bruises. "Those bruises are finally healed huh?" I was at a loss for words, my embarrassment reddening my cheeks. "Oh my bad, what's up Candace?" He greeted her and she sent me a smug glance before greeting him in return.