Chapter 26

We thanked the staff members,, shooing them out of the door while Rio and I conferred with one another. I mean this was a whole new battle. He knew everything there was to know about our business, every single detail went through him before it reached me and if he was the one working with our competition we really had our work cut out for us.

The next two hours was spent doing complete damage control, redirecting the team and setting meetings with clients. As we continued to work my phone rang, startling both of us out of our concentration. The number was private so I glanced to Rio in confusion before putting it on speaker.

"Hello Violetta." The voice greets menacingly and I feel my blood boil.

"Peter." I retort through gritted teeth. "I should have guessed you had something to do with all of this."

"It doesn't surprise me that you haven't bothered to think of me after you completely disregarded me." I roll my eyes at his allegations.

"You know that isn't what happened." I sighed. "You also tried to kill me." I add.

"Don't be so dramatic." He condescends with a chuckle and I have to place my hand on Rio's to stop him from doing anything rash. "Besides, I realized that killing you would be far too easy, it'd be so much more rewarding to finally take what I'm owed."

"I owe you nothing." He begins to reply but before he could I hang up, slamming my phone on the desk. "What a prick." I sigh in frustration.

"I'm going to kill him, we're going to take his little organization down and he'll be left with nothing but begging for our mercy." I give him a half-hearted smile in return.

"He has all the information he needs to really do some damage Rio, this isn't a petty fight against companies anymore. They have the upper hand now." I run a hand through my hair.

"Don't be like that, we have something they don't have." I give him a weird look, nudging for him to continue. "Your sister-in-law and her basic ass friends."

"He knows them all, he's met them multiple times." I argue.

"Which means he would know that you never told them anything." I nod. "We can use them as bait to draw them out of wherever they are, stage a fight between you or some shit we'll sort out the details." His plan began to make some sense.

"And they can ask him for help, which he'll see as an opportunity to get to me and they can help us from within." I continue for him. "You're good at this." I compliment him.

"I know darlin. For now we need to see what other strings we can pull to get this working which will mean going a lil deeper into you and Pete." He explains and I look at him in confusion. "Don't play dumb sweetheart, what went on between you." I took a deep breath, running a hand through my hair.

"I don't want to discuss this with prying ears." I look out the door at the bustling office. "I think we should be better to talk about this back at the hotel room." He nodded as we got up to leave the office. We directed the employees on what to do in our absence and I gave Indiana a couple words of reassurance before heading back to the hotel with Rio.

The car ride was short and silent but I placed my hand on his and my head on his shoulder, relaxing him slightly. We were both exhausted from today and I was looking forward to getting this whole ordeal sorted out. Our hotel was as lovely as I remembered, I greeted the concierge with a smile and retrieved the keys for out penthouse suite. Upon entering. The gorgeous room I flop onto the bed, Rio not far behind me as we both stare up at the ceiling.

"You're gonna have to tell me sooner or later babe." His head turns to me and I groan.

"It's very long and complicated." I turn to look back at him. "But it's important you know." I add with dismay before delving into Pete and I's long-lasting friendship and what had eventually turned into an unrequited love.

"I've got all night." He retorts.

"We met when he was working for my dad, he was just a casual dealer that covered most of the high school stoners, god it must've been ten years ago now." My eyes drifted from him as I pluck the memories from the recesses of my long term memory. "I'd knowledge of what dad was doing for a couple of years and he'd finally allowed me to start learning the ropes of the business and so he trusted Pete to show me what they do on the ground level. I'll admit I had a bit of a schoolgirl crush on him. I was only 16 and he was this super cool 18 year old." Rio's eyebrows raised but he kept silent."Then I took on the business and all of a sudden I was his boss, obviously I trusted him more than the other staff so we sort of became partners of sorts. Everyone knew he was my right hand man and he was always the person I relied on for advice as he had seen how my father ran things and could show me."

"Did you get together or what?" He asks, impatient.

"Well after taking on the business I was so focused on work that I stopped seeing him as a crush and more of a trusted associate that I didn't want to jeopardize my relationship with. I knew he felt something for me back a few years ago but I assumed that his feelings had dwindled similar to mine." He chuckled at me and I gave him a confused glare.

"You are one of the most oblivious people I've ever met huh? I bet you probably didn't pick up that I was flirting with you for weeks before we merged either?" My eyes widen in realisation.

"I thought you were just taunting me to play mind games." He laughs even harder, stroking my cheek.

"For a smart woman you really are dumb darlin." I pouted and swatted his hand away.

"Look it's never been my strong suit, no boys really had any interest in me at school, not that I had any time for them if they did. I never really learned how to pick up on vibes." I explain with a shrug. Rio leans in to kiss me.

"They were missing out damn." He pulls away. "Now at least we know that Peter is fueled by his obvious jealousy of our relationship, its easier for us to get to him." I raise my eyebrows.

"How?" I question suspiciously.

"By exploiting his feelings of course." He kisses me again and I feel his lips quirk into a smile. "If he's motivated by emotion then he won't be thinking as clearly as we are but you need to promise me something."

"Anything." I breathed.

"He ain't gonna stop until our shit is completely gone so I need you to promise to trust me. I'm probably gonna be doing some things you won't like and if it comes down to it we'll need to get rid of him altogether. I need you to promise you ain't gonna give him any mercy."

"I promise." I agree. It would be hard of course, to go head to head with someone I trusted so dearly. We shared a lot together but at the end of the day, we will do what it takes.

"Perfect, let's order room service yeah?" I nod with a smile, pulling him closer.

We spent a romantic night together, forgetting about the impending threat against the company while we blocked out the world. Thank god we were the only ones on this level.

~~~~~

Here we gooooooo
Also I never thanked you guys for 50k reads but thanks so much it means a lot to me!
For a while I thought that my writing could only be successful in the Gotham fandom and I'm so happy that the support is strong in other fandoms as well.
Also the amount of Rio fanfics now is literally crazy! They're all so good I can't.
Enjoy and love you all
~Mikayla