Chapter 13

I went to bed with thoughts of loneliness and Rio's proposal swirling through my mind. It'd kept me up far beyond what I originally planned, leaving me with barely any sleep at the office this morning.

My tea was hardly touched as I struggled to keep my eyes open in an important meeting with clients. It wasn't until Candace knocked on the meeting room's door that my eyes snapped open in alert.

"Boss? There's an important phone call that requires your immediate attention." She explains and I apologize to the clients before leaving the room to answer the call. It's unsurprising that I hear Rio's voice on the other end.

"Told you that you needed to up your security sweetheart."

"What do you want Rio? I'm quite busy." I reply flatly and he chuckles at me.

"Too busy to come play hero for your girlfriends?" He questions and I stiffen my posture

"What have you done?" I say through gritted teeth.

"Nothing yet, however, if you ain't here in an hour who knows what kinda shit I'll get up to." My blood runs cold as he roundabout tells me that he has my sister-in-law and friends.

"I'll be there as soon as I can," I mutter angrily, prepared to gather my team.

"Perfect, bring any of your boys and hell will break loose darlin so I'd think twice." I don't even question how he knew my next actions, instead just heading to the elevator.

"Fine. Where am I meeting you?" I ask, already pressing the button on the elevator, waving Candace off.

"I'll text you the address."

"Great." With that I hang up and run to my car, wasting no time in speeding out of the car park. The text had come through and I got the directions going. It was less than twenty minutes away and I knew that if I went fast enough I'd be able to get there in ten minutes.

And that's exactly what I did, arriving in the car park of the warehouse in no time, I noticed that this was one of my old warehouses, sold after we moved to a bigger complex. My heels crunched the gravel as I hurriedly entered the massive building, my only intention to get the girls out. I came unarmed, knowing it would be futile and stupid.

"Rio!" I called out, trying to find the four.

"Letta! Darlin, come join the party, it's a real riot." I followed the voice and found Rio standing over Beth, Annie, and Ruby who were tied to chairs, clothes ties around their mouths. The three of them were shaking in fear and I looked around to notice none of Rio's men were around, no doubt they were somewhere watching closely but it was surprising they weren't beside him as usual.

"I told you not to involve them any more than they were." He smirks at my attitude. I come to stand beside him, in front of the chairs.

"You weren't answering my calls sweetheart." I scoffed, rolling my eyes only to have a gun pointed at Annie's forehead. "I'd cut the attitude Letta, I've got the upper hand this time." I nodded slightly as he lowered the gun.

"I think I made my answer pretty clear the other night." I retort and he chuckles.

"Well, now the deal has changed." I raise my eyebrows at him. "You see, I have three gorgeous pieces of leverage right here." He raises the gun for emphasis and I see his point.

"But you've always had them as leverage, why bring them here, why pull this card now?" I question him and he gets frustrated with the interrogation before composing himself.

"Dramatic effect." He covers but I call him out on it.

"Dramatic effect is a picture of them, or you actually hurting them. Yet you bring them here, unscathed." I observe, looking him up and down.