Chapter 10

My eyelids felt heavy and my chest felt compressed with rocks as I walked beside Candace to greet Rio in the lobby. I felt so dazed that the thought of seeing him gave me weird tingles, butterflies even. I put it down to the guilt and remorse I felt for being so horrible to my brother.

By the time we got to him, he was grinning slyly as he usually did, but this time felt different, his eyes were a minuscule softer as he tilted his head ever so slightly to the left.

"Well mama, you do not look happy to see me." He accompanies it with a devious chuckle but I stare at him, my eyes unblinking as I turn away.

"Follow me, we have to go up to the office before we can get to the basement," I state, already walking toward the elevator, in no mood to joke with him.

"Damn, someone's a little cranky huh?" I hear him call but I enter the elevator without so much as a break in my step. "What's the problem darlin? Eddie annoying you that much?" I sigh slightly, sniffling a little before looking back to where he now stood between me as the doors closed.

"I'm really in no mood right now, Rio. Let's save the banter for your next unfortunate business shall we?" I bite back and he looks slightly taken aback by more bluntness.

"Why-" He begins to ask but this time Candace jumps in.

"Oh look we're here." The three of us make our way across the first floor, bypassing my office completely and arrive at the secret elevator instead. Thankfully, the office door was closed so Rio wouldn't be able to see the damage I'd done in there.

I lead the way, the awkward silence thick and tense, thanking Candace we leave her at her desk as I accompany him the rest of the way down.

"You gonna tell what the deal is?" He asks abruptly and I give him a deadpanned stare.

"Nothing's wrong, can we just finish this little exchange, whatever it is," I mutter in response. I can feel his stare on the side of my face before he moves forward, pressing a button on the wall, bringing the elevator to a halt. "What the fu-"

"We're not leaving until you tell me what's got your panties in a bunch." I shake my head in disgust at him.

"What do you not understand there's nothing wrong!" I spurt, exasperatingly just wanting him to drop it. He walks slowly toward me, his hand pressing on either side of my face, I drop my gaze to the floor only for him to place a finger under my chin lifting my eyes to his.

"What is it darlin? Someone take  your Gucci purse? Someone not follow your order to the letter?" He taunts me.

"Stop," I whisper, pleadingly.

"Finally realized that maybe you aren't as high and mighty as you think you are? Finally realized you aren't cut out for this shit?" He continues.

"Stop! Please stop!" I yell my voice breaking as tears come down my face.

"Now there's tears? This must really be a doozy darlin, don't tell me." He leans in even closer than before, his lips beside my right ear as he whispers. "Your boyfriend dumped you?" With that, I'd finally had enough.

"My brother has cancer you fucking prick!" I exploded, and he steps back only slightly. "Is that what you wanted to hear? That big bad Violetta is just a little bitch who cries over her family potentially dying? Do you feel better about yourself now? Like more of a man? Well, congratulations!" I was almost hysteric and his facial expression dropped completely. I felt the familiar wave of sadness begin to crash mercilessly down on me and felt my knees go weak again. My head felt dizzy from the crying and I felt myself slipping slightly before I was caught by Rio.

"Violetta I'm sorry, I didn't know." I genuinely felt so exhausted that I didn't even have the energy to push him away from me or retort with anything, instead, I found myself gripping him tightly. I was so desperate for any type of comfort that I'd even settle for Rio in an elevator. To my surprise he held me, lightly stroking my hair as I cried. I'd be lying if I didn't say it felt nice to have someone letting me cry on their shoulder for a change.

We stayed like that for upwards of five minutes before I snapped back to reality, pushing him from me in shock, his face showing the same reaction. I'd already cried off my makeup earlier today so at least I didn't have to worry about that. I hurriedly wiped my eyes and cleared my throat as he pressed the button so we could continue moving.

"We're to never speak of this again," I state, staring straight ahead.

"Agreed." He replies shortly but I feel his gaze shift toward me. "For what it's worth I'm sorry, cancer's a real bitch." I turn slightly, locking eyes with him to give him a soft smile.

"You've got that right." We both chuckle lightly. "Thank you, though." He nods and before he can reply the elevator dings. Everyone staring at us, probably wondering how on earth it took so long. "Elevator had a malfunction, someone fix it," I demand and they all scurry away from us.

"Rio?" We hear Eddie exclaim, now changed in fresh clothes with nothing but his pain meds in his hands. He glances from my tear stained cheeks to Rio's damp shirt then back to me. "You ok Violetta?"

"I'm fine"

"She's fine" Rio and I both answer simultaneously, throwing each other knowing looks.

"I'm sorry about Dean." He apologizes and I look at him in surprise. "One of the nurses overheard the phone call." I nod with appreciation.

"Well, there's your boy, this means you're finally out of hair right?" I look between the two expectantly.

"But your hair's so pretty darlin." He tucks a piece behind my ear but I push his hand away.

"Get out." I retort, sick of the two of them, just wanting to be with my brother and his kids right now.

"Don't you wanna know your part of the deal?" I look at him incredulously.

"My part of the deal is you never going near my family again, just like we agreed on." I scoff.

"Right of course. But there's one more thing." He steps toward me, invading my space once again. "You get to merge empires with me! How generous." I give them both filthy looks.

"Do I look in any type of mood to deal with either of you playing me? Didn't think so." I glance from Rio to Eddie. "You are to do what we discussed." I flickered back to Rio. "And your men are to stay away from my family." With that, I lead them back to the elevator. "And this is never happening again." I finish.

"Yes, Letta," Rio smirks tauntingly and I glare at him in return.

"Don't"

~~~

Ok Rio and Violetta soft moment? Is it too soon?

Shits getting real lads

Violetta's sad hours ^^