Chapter 14

Rio let the other women go and I took them back to Beth's knowing well that they wouldn't let me get out of this unscathed, after all, I just agreed to go into business with the man that threatened us with a gun not only a few months ago. I gave them the benefit of knowledge, knowing that they're going to find out eventually.

"What exactly does your company do Violetta?" My skin crawls at the use of my full name. I debated lying, or even sugarcoating the truth but knew that if Rio and I would be running things together, and the fact that they were just held hostage in order to make said deal happen, they deserved to know what exactly was going on.

"We sell drugs," I reply shortly, keeping my eyes on the road as I drove.

"You what?" Ruby questions in shock.

"We manufacture, sort and distribute drugs to high-class citizens." I glance at Ruby and Annie in the backseat who were giving each other a worried look.

"Violetta-" Beth begins but I cut her off.

"Don't." I cut her off. "You have no clue what lengths I go to in order to keep my friends and family safe." I could feel myself getting defensive the longer we talked about it.

"When? How?" Annie asks and I turn into Beth's driveway.

"Since I was 17, it's a long story but I don't want Dean knowing." The four of us get out of the car and I'm lead to the kitchen to be further interrogated.

"17? Vi, what the fuck? I mean how are we only just now hearing about this? Also, how have we not noticed that you've literally never told us how you bought the shopping center?" Annie continues and I just stare back at her, Beth already making tea.

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't tell you. It's not exactly something you discuss over family dinner." I joke but they aren't taking it.

"But you could have told us! We tell you everything." Beth exclaims, looking completely hurt and it felt heavy.

"I know you do! Who do you think paid off the house?" I look at Annie. "And your divorce lawyer." I turn to Ruby. "And got Sarah on the top of the list for a doner?" They looked shocked but calmed down slightly.

"I don't want your dirty money," Beth replies, keeping her eyes cast down as she poured our tea.

"My dirty money got you out of being killed by a gang." I hiss in response.

"The same gang that you just agreed to work with! We've got kids to think about Vi! You might not have that kind of responsibility-" I was livid, that she would mention something like that.

"Fine, you're on your own then." I turn to the other two. "You all are." I storm to the door as Annie and Ruby look like they were going to say something. "Feel free to find me when you realize that I'm more than a common thug." With that, I slam the door, thankful that Dean and the kids weren't home to witness it.

I was absolutely furious but I wouldn't give them the satisfaction of seeing me upset so I hopped in my car, phone in hand as I dialed a now familiar number, praying that talking business could make me feel somewhat better.

"Hearing from you so soon sweetheart? Couldn't get enough of me?" I can feel my sour mood fizzle slightly at the sound of his cocky voice.

"You sure you're serious about this co-running thing?" I attach my phone to the Bluetooth speakers so I can begin my journey home. "Cause if we're doing this it can't be half-assed, your boys will be working twenty times harder." I focused my gaze on the road.

"Course I'm serious darlin, why? You ain't got cold feet or nothin?" My fingers drummed the steering wheel anxiously.

"I need to know if this is the right choice, I don't even know you-" I reply before he cuts me off.