Chapter 2

I'd put the kids to sleep in their rooms and had dozed off as I read Emma a bedtime story, I'd faintly heard the sound of the door opening and closing, assuming it was Beth I was left wondering if Dean would be home anytime soon, or at all for that matter. I crept out of the bed to go and greet Beth when I heard hushed voices. They must both be home. Their voices slowly got clearer.

"Are you drunk?" I hear Dean ask as I realize that it must have been him that stepped through the door. I glance at my phone to see the time displays one in the morning. I had a text from Beth at eleven thirty saying she was almost home, how hadn't I heard her come in? I also had a text from my driver telling me all three of them got home safe and had a great night. I shot him a thank you and a promise to pay him at work on Monday.

"What of it?" Beth retorted to Dean.

"We have kids upstairs Beth." He hissed and I felt my own blood boiling, who was he to say anything of that sort?

"Your sister put them to bed, she's still sleeping." Was her only reply.

"Why didn't she tell me she was coming? She always tells me when she's coming over."

"Because I asked her to come over and mind the kids while I went out with friends." Beth's tone was deadly calm and it was almost concerning.

"Why would you be so irresponsible!" He whisper-yells.

"Why would you sleep with your assistant!" She spits in retaliation and I gasp lightly.

"Beth-"

"Don't bother." She cuts him off and I mentally cheer for her. "I found something in the study." I hear the faint sound of paper being slapped onto the table and I'm curious. "Are we going to lose this house?" My eyes widened.

"What?"

"Dean are we going to lose this house?"

"Look I dropped the ball but-"

"Goddamn it Dean are we going to lose this house?!"

"No! Maybe." I can hear Beth's sobs before I feel a head on my shoulder, I turn to find Kenny sitting beside me on the top of the stairs, there's tears in his eyes too.

"I'll never let anything happen to you, don't worry." I assure him.

"Are they going to get a divorce?" I give him a sad glance and take him to his room, sitting him down in front of me so we were eye level with one another.

"To be quite honest I'm not sure. But do you know what I am sure about?"

"What?"

"That both of them love you very much and would never do anything to hurt you ok? Now I'm going to go and help them out but I need you to go back to bed ok?" He nodded and I closed the door behind me, making my way back down stairs.

"Vi?" Dean greets but I walk passed him to Beth.

"Kenny caught the last part of that conversation, I haven't told him anything." Beth looks distraught. "And you." I turn my attention back to Dean. "You're a disgrace to the Boland name." He puts his head to the ground, knowing there was no way to get out of this.

"Vi I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"It's not me you should be apologizing to, it's your four children and your amazing wife but you've missed your shot for that. How much is the mortgage?" I question.

"About ten thousand dollars." His voice is full of shame and rightfully so.

"I can give you that money-"

"No. You've helped enough, I love you but I can't accept it. It's my turn to clean up Dean's mess." I desperately wanted to  argue but knew that Beth would refuse to accept anything from me.

"Ok, but the offer is always there." I hug her again. "I should go, let you both sort this out." They nod and I leave them to it.

~~~
I'd checked in on Beth a number of times throughout the week. She invited me to come over this morning and I gladly expected, grateful that she still considered me a friend despite Dean's reckless behaviors. When I arrived I called Beth upon seeing her car wasn't in the driveway, she told me to just let myself in with my set of keys that I'd kept for emergencies. I unlocked the door without a hitch, immediately greeted with their puppy.

"Hey buddy! I know! I know! I have not visited enough to give you cuddles!" I play with the dog, scratching his tummy.

"Yeah darlin I've felt real deprived of cuddles lately." My head snapped up to find an unfamiliar man smirking down at me. I let go of the dog and slowly get up from the floor my eyes trained on his.

"Beth didn't say she had guests over?" I questioned suspiciously, wondering what Beth would be doing with guests like this.

"We're more of a drop in." That was when I caught a glimpse of the shiny gun in his pocket, my body stiffening on reflex. "But somethin tells me you ain't who we're lookin for?" His head tilts menacingly to the side, the hair on my neck standing on end. His neck tattoo stands out against his otherwise bare face. His eyebrow has a slit through it and his dark brown bore into my blue ones, one of the very few traits that Dean and I share.

"Depends, who is it you're looking for?" A million thoughts race through my mind, I'm almost certain that I'd done nothing to upset any local gangs and if I had I definitely would have covered my tracks better.

"Three bitches that thought stealin from us was a good ass idea." Now I was genuinely surprised.

"Then you definitely have the wrong person, I don't steal, I work." He doesn't believe me and grabs one of his guys to bring him a piece of paper.

"You ain't Mrs Boland?"

"It's Miss Boland, but yes that's me." His eyebrows raise.

"So you a liar too? Damn sweetheart this ain't lookin good for you." Trust me to get murdered cause of a crime i didn't commit.

"But I didn't steal anything from you!" I argue but the gun keeps my mouth shut.

"That car looks pretty nice boss, new too." The man peeks out to confirm and he gives me another smug grin.

"All signs point to guilty sweetheart, you gonna confess?" I felt like crying I was so frustrated.

"I bought that car four months ago, cost me a shit load more than what I would have gotten if I pinched a couple grand from you." The gangster and his partner gave each other a wary look before they heard another car pull in.

"That your husband?" I shake my head silently, more afraid of what would come of Beth if this went side ways. I had a feeling something like this would have happened eventually but I assumed I would actually be guilty of the accusation.

"Vi? Can you turn the kettle on? If I don't have coffee in the next ten minute my head's going to explode." I went to call out but I was silenced by the man's hand over my mouth and his gun against my temple. His grip was strong and his other men were menacing enough to prevent me from trying anything.

"Nah, we have business to attend to first." Beth drops the groceries on the floor and screeches in fright. We make eye contact and she looks paralyzed with fear.

"What do you want?" She questions and she goes through a similar explanation to what I'd received. However, this time the man had come to the realization that it wasn't me he was looking for after all, it was Beth. She revealed that it was her, Annie and Ruby that had robbed the grocery store and I was gobsmacked, not thinking any of them had the guts to do that kind of thing.

"Well how bout you get your other bitches here so we can have a little chat hm?" She rang the both of them, once ending the call turning her attention to me.

~~~
Ok I didn't expect any votes or comments so here's the second chapter x