6. Nervousness

"Be safe. Look after each other and please stick together. Make sure you-" I cut my mom off knowing the speech she was about to give and how many times I've already heard it.

"Mom! I know, I know. I'll call you every night and I promise you don't need to worry. I can take care of myself." She sighed but gave me a weak smile and brought me into a tight hug.

"And I know that, Honey, but mom's always worry."  I kissed her cheek in reassurance and pulled up my backpack straps that started to fall due to the intensity of her squeeze.

My dad gave me the next hug and it was much more short and sweet. "I love you, Paige and remember to have fun! But don't do anything that I wouldn't." He leaned down to my ear, and whispered what my other family members couldn't hear, "I was a rebel as a teen so..." He pulled back and winked which I returned with a wide smile.

"Well I hope you get lost and can't find your way back," Carter commented next and I just shook my head at his bitterness.

"Carter! Take that back! Your sister is coming back in one piece whether you like it or not." My mom slapped the back of his head in distaste.

I just laughed, pulling him into a hug and messed up his hair that he grimaced at. "Aw brother, don't lie because I know you'll miss me." He just rolled his eyes and pushed me away, mumbling, "I just want your room," under his breath.

My dad looked down at his watch at the time. "We better leave now or you'll miss your flight so get in there!"

I lifted up the handle of my suitcase. I guess it was time to say goodbye. "I love you guys and it's only a week!" I said, walking backwards towards the automatic door.

My parents waved back, slowly getting into their SUV and my mom cried out, "I already miss you."

I laughed as I shook my head and finally turned my back on them to continue my journey into the airport.

Now where do I find Parker?

•••

The radio station had said that we needed to check in together because we were on the same  reservation. I made my way to the electronic American Airlines check in kiosk, thinking this might be where I could find him.

I looked down at the airport map that I grabbed coming in, trying to find anywhere else that would be could be. It probably would've been smart if we had a meet up spot or had swapped cell phone numbers but no, we hadn't...

Suddenly a loud "boo" came up merely an inch away from my ear and it caused me to jump in freight. My heart picked up speed, as I squealed in shock and turned around to see who it was.

"What the fuck is wrong with you, Parker? You could've given me a heart attack!" I narrowed my eyes at the handsome boy I still considered a stranger.

He kneeled over engulfed in laughter and his loud chuckles caught the attention of bystanders.

"But you should've seen your face! Aw, that was hilarious." He regained his composure, leaving a lazy smirk on his face. 

I frowned and slapped his shoulder several times before turning back to the check in kiosk, adding in my information and scanning my passport before he did the same.

Once we had checked our suitcases in, we made our way through security with our carry ons. I had to take off my olive green cardigan and Parker slipped off his belt and watch before we set them into a tray. I walked through the scanner with no trouble, taking my stuff to a table to re-organise it myself. As I slipped my beaten Toms on, I heard the detector go off. I looked behind me to see who had set it of. It was Parker. He scowled in annoyance as he got patted down, glaring at me a I struggled to hold back my laughter. When they had found nothing on him, they sent him through again, this time he was clear. He snatched his stuff off of the conveyor and stomped over to me. Taking one look at my smug face he murmured, "Not a word," before walking off, clearly a little embarrassed. I snickered behind him following after him to wherever we were going to next (since I haven't got a clue what you're supposed to do in an airport).