24. Return

I slammed my locker shut with another groan. "Uh, why does school have to be absolute hell?" I mumbled to myself, pushing through the crowd of angsty teens trying to fight my way to my next class.

Okay, I was being a bit dramatic, but starting my first day back with pre calc at 7 AM was not my kind of fun.

I rounded the corner to enter my English class when Carly caught up to me and followed me in. "Hey bestie, what's with the sad face?"

I grimaced even further, moving towards the back desks.

"Mr. Williams is an asshole. Who wants to jump right into equations and have a packet of homework on the first day? Not me!" I yelled at her.

She put her hands up in surrender, settling into the seat beside me. "Are you sure this has nothing to do with lover boy? Sad you can't see him for a full eight hours?" Carly teased.

Parker.

I hadn't even thought about Parker after getting his sweet text this morning wishing me a good day back.

Oh man, I guess I do miss him.

I had just seen him yesterday but now the reality set in that he went to a different school and the stress and work of school was going to hit soon, making it harder for us to see each other often.

No.

I can't think like that. I'm too pessimistic. It's funny because he's the optimistic one in the relationship, always reassuring me that it's going to be alright. I have to take a page out of his book and at least see how this all works out.

"Stop frowning. You're going to get wrinkle lines too young," Carly commented.

I wiped my brain of Parker and reached down to grab out my notebook before the class started. Just gotta get into the school mindset.

I looked down, about to write my name and date at the top of my paper when a high pitched voice interrupted me.

"You're Paige, right?" The brunette asked, leaning against my table and chomping on a piece of bubblegum, annoyingly loud.

"Uh yeah." I didn't recognize the girl. She had a bob haircut and wore a deep v neck shirt that would get any guy to look down. Another girl, I assume her friend, stood behind her, arms crossed and her head tilted in curiosity.

"You went to that music festival with Parker Collins, didn't you? We were following you guys along on social media and was surprised when we saw the shy girl with the hottest athlete at Oak Hill."

"How'd that happen?" The other blonde girl added in.

I was flustered by their interrogation. "Uh... well..." Before I could embarrass myself, Carly stepped in to save me.

"You bitches are just jealous that she got the guy and you didn't. So go away," she said, waving her hand at them in a shooing motion.

Bubblegum girl scuffed, "Whatever, Carrot Top." She turned on her heals, ready to walk away, not before giving me one last comment. "By the way, I don't know what he sees in you. Who would want to date a loser?" She looked over me with disgust.