27. Confrontation

"Woah, woah! Wait, you're telling me he stood you up?" Carly clarified, looking up from the InStyle magazine she had been flipping through.

"Essentially..." I trailed off, casting my eyes down with a grimace.

"Essentially my ass! You had been waiting for him and instead he left you for a party!" Kharis butted in.

I had called the girls over this afternoon for an emergency 'fill in' meeting on what they missed last night. And boy, did they miss a lot. It had now been more than twenty four hours since my chat with Parker. We had an awkward side hug and a weird goodbye when he left (in his own clothes again) and hadn't talked since. I appreciated the space he was giving me to think.

Kharis started to talk animatedly about what had happened but I knew there was no way I could stop her now as Carly gasped and eyes grew wide at certain moments, encouraging her to go on.

I see where they're coming from. I can't help but think I forgave him too easily and then I also worry I overreacted or this type of thing could happen again. The last thing I want to do is be an annoying girlfriend... And to think, last month I was single with no intentions to touch guys for years. Maybe this was too fast. We were moving too fast.

"Did you kick his ass, Paige?"

"Huh?" I asked, distracted by my thoughts to hear what my friends were saying.

"Did you show him some violence for what he did?" Carly went on and I could tell how much she disliked Parker in this moment.

"Listen. I did give him a piece of my mind this morning but I also heard what he had to say about it. Parker has been only sweet to me until this incident so I'm just giving him his first strike. Maybe this is a sign we need to slow down but I still really like this guy, girls..."

My eyes traveled from one of them to the other, trying to gauge their reactions. Both seemed to be combing over their answers until Kharis voiced her opinion.

"We've never seen you into a guy before so it's unknown territory for us," we all quietly laughed at that as she continued, "He seems cool from the times I've talked to him personally but I won't lie when it comes to the rumors that surround him at school and his rough exterior."

Carly nodded her head in agreement. "Yeah, we're just scared for you. We don't wanna see you get hurt for the first time cause we don't know this guy that well. Just... be cautious before you put all your cards on the table, okay?"

They'd need a lot of convincing to get Parker on their side again and I'm hoping I can get that to happen sooner than later. He's not a bad guy, I know it! But how much do I really know about the real him yet?

"Okay. I'll be cautious and you guys need to give him a chance if he starts to make it up to me."

They both looked uneasy about trusting him. Carly nodded, getting up from her spot on the edge of the bed to meet me from my spot on my computer chair. She held her arms out and motioned me into them for a hug to which I agreed to.

"If he shows us he deserves you then yes." She leaned back to look into my eyes. "Have fun! I've never seen you so lively in years so I'm glad he at least gets you out of your shell."

My cheeks tinted pink. "He really does." I smiled, thinking about our adventures that I hoped more would come soon.

"Let me get in there!" Kharis shouted from the bed, making her way over to us and wrapping her own arms around ours. "We're celebrating Paige's introvert virginity being popped! This is an exciting time that I didn't think I'd see the day that it happened."

"Let's... not call it that," I mumbled into our huddle that would've looked weird to anyone that walked into my room at the moment.

"What? You're getting crazy, Paige! Who knows, your real virginity will be taken in no time!"

"Carly!" I exclaimed as their giggles echoed over my discomfort. We broke apart as they continued to embarrass me which was thank god saved by my buzzing phone.

Kharis was the closest to it, looking down at the text that came through. "Speak of the devil!"

I frowned, immediately knowing who that was and looked down at it next.

Parker
Get ready. I'm picking you up in 30. It's a surprise and you'll be gone for the night ;)

"That boy better be making it up to you."

To which I responded with, "I hope so."

•••

The doorbell rang right on schedule as my fast beating heart continued to pound loudly in my chest. I checked my hair one more time in the hallway mirror and fixed the strap on my crossbody bag before taking a deep breath and opening up the door.

What's wrong with you? It's your boyfriend for crying out loud! Yeah well, it was hella awkward right now and I didn't know how to act. Eh, I'll try to ignore what happened. I can't be all down about it forever. So, I put a bright smile on as I greeted the boy I was so fond of.

He stood in front of me in dark pants and a tee paired with a denim jacket that his hands were stuffed into. His hair was in his signature "messed up" look that I still don't know if he does on purpose or on accident.

"Hi. I thought we needed an escape."

I nodded excitedly, stepping towards him to lock the door to the empty house and followed him down the driveway to his car.

I jumped in comfortably. "So!" I clapped my hands to break the silence as he backed out. "What did you have in mind?"

"I did tell you it's going to be a surprise. What's the fun in you knowing so soon?" I frowned. "But! I will say we're going for a mini road trip so sit back for the next hour and a half."

Hmm, what did he have planned? If I said I wasn't excited for the unknown, I'd be lying.

"You better put a playlist on. I'm feeling Bastille today."

I shrugged, following Parker's command and giving into his plans, completely putting my trust into his hands.