12. Contemplating

•Parker•

I headed back to the room before Paige, making sure I put my bowl back, so the kitchen staff aren't out on a man hunt for it. Although, I doubt that it would really matter if they couldn't find one bowl. I swiped into the room with the spare key card and then made sure the air conditioner was on full blast. I'd rather not smell like a wet dog with horrendous body odor when Paige is around.

It shouldn't bother me how I look in front of her, yet I feel obligated to make the best impression possible. A stranger who I'll likely never see again once we pack up and head home. A small part of me hopes that we won't become estranged acquaintances when we head back. I can't tell if it's because I'm attracted to her body or all of her. Man, I got to start thinking with the head on my shoulders when I'm around her.

I took out my laptop in an attempt to squash the thoughts, for now, checking the website's plan for the day. I scrolled mindlessly until I heard the door to the room open. Paige walked over to me and I stopped my speed scrolling. She leaned over my shoulder to take a look while a small sweat broke over my body.

Not the time to be a pervert, don't think about what's leaning against your shoulder, don't think about how she smells of lavender. Oh god dammit, Parker.

She started talking in the midst of my inner monologue. I smiled in acknowledgement, hoping she didn't notice, adding my own input on the list. I watched her move across the room, twisting and twirling around the furniture. Her excitement seeped into me somehow and I couldn't help but laugh at her antics.

I offered to let her shower first, knowing that she'd been in the heat for longer than I had. In a surprising turn of events, she turned and proudly replied, "I'm always hot," before quickly shutting the door. Damn. Who knew she had it in her?

My focus was taken away from the bathroom door and back to my laptop when it started ringing.

Marcus wants to facetime...

Accept Decline

I accepted the call.

"Yooooo! Damn I didn't think you were gonna pick up."

I rolled my eyes. His hair was a mess and he had sweat dripping down his face.

"Yeah well nothing really begins until one so we decided to just chill at the hotel for a bit. Paige is showering right now so you got me at a good time."

"Oh she's showering? You didn't get an invite? Man, you must be off your game. Or you smell too bad for her to let you be in such a small area with her." He had a huge grin plastered onto his face. Asshole.

"I can't smell worse than you. I can smell the sweat and B.O. from here. Did you just run a marathon or something?"

"What I did or did not just run from doesn't matter right now. We're talking about you and your terrible dry spell."

"Listen dude, Paige just isn't like that. I mean, you can tell when you first meet her. She's just... a lot more real than the others... Does that make sense?"

He was silent for a moment contemplating my words before he nodded his head, accepting my answer. Quickly changing the subject, he asked, "So you do anything good yet? You can't tell me you've been in the hotel the whole time."

"Nah, of course not. We headed down to the pier yesterday. Couple carnival games you know, all that stuff."

"Sounds a bit like a date, Park. Did you win her a wittle tweddy bwear?" He mocked. My face heated up a bit at the memory.

"Not exactly..."

He burst into heaving laughter. His phone moved with him as he knelt over. Again, Asshole! I need a new wing man.

"Man you are so far off your game, huh?"

"N-no," I stammered.

"Oh so there's more to this story? I didn't know you could be more of a dumbass."

"Listen, we were on the ferris wheel and she was scared shitless so I held her hand like a good person, and then I stood up and got dropped on her, like a not so good person. But it was the perfect opportunity for a kiss. Like the cliché stuff but I think it's too quick. She doesn't seem like she's completely on board with it and I don't want to screw something up only for the rest of the trip to be awkward. It'd be a different story if I was with anyone else."

Marcus sat still for a minute. He had that look in his eye that said he was considering his words carefully.

"You said she was different, right? So treat her different. Since she's still talking to you should be a sign that hey! You didn't screw up that badly. So take it slow, don't rush into things until she's ready. Let her be the one to initiate things from now on or hint at things and see where she takes it. Just don't push too quickly and everything should be good, man."

I was frozen in shock. My mouth dropped open ever so slightly. Was Marcus... Actually making sense for once?

"Thanks, man. I can't believe I'm saying this but wow, that's some good advice."

"Well, I'm not all looks you know. And if she happens to have any hot friends then you can help set me up with them. It's a win win situation," he winked with a smirk.

"Ah there it is, the Marcus I know."

"Whatever, man. By the way, your mom wants you to call her. She asked me if I had heard from you since you got there so I lied to stop her from worrying."

My eyes rolled as I sighed, "Oh wow, she had time to think about me? Shocker."

"Just message her at least," he pleaded.

"If she wants to talk to me, she can message me first. I'm tired of having to bend over backwards for her when she wouldn't do the same for me. Not anymore."

We sat in an uncomfortable silence for a moment. I heard the door unlock behind me and then from the screen, Marcus decided he would comment, "Bro who's the babe behind you?"

Thanks, dude. I appreciate it.