28. Surprise

The music flooded the car as we headed down the long stretch of road in front of us. We had almost reached wherever Parker wanted to take me to, the sky deepening with every passing minute.

During the journey, we hadn't spoken much. It had mainly been in an awkward silence, watching the rest of the houses pass us by as music filled in a few gaps. Parker has been tapping his fingers against the wheel to the beat of each song. I had also been tapping my fingers but more rapid against my waist, in time with nothing but my own heart. The anxiety was breaking me down, I needed to say something.

But what if this makes the date more awkward? It'll be another hour and a half journey home in silence worse than this.

Interrupting my destructive train of thought, Parker spoke up, "Paige I know I haven't been the best recently but the silence is starting to scare me. You're not gonna ditch me as soon as we get back, are you?"

I could clearly here the panic and worry in his voice, I couldn't help but sigh. Out of the corner of my eye I saw his eyebrows raise.

"Park... I'm not going to break up with you. The other night was disappointing but I know you're trying hard to make up for that."

He slouched back in the driver's seat. He reached over and grabbed my hand, halting all the tapping.

"Okay, that's great. I was kinda worried about that and now I'm not. Just a bit to get off my chest." He's too cute.

"I know it's not really my place to ask but what happened with your stepdad? You keep on mentioning him but you never seem to go further. In fact, I know hardly anything about your family."

He sighed, squeezing my hand harder.

"My stepdad isn't the best. He met my mom a few years ago. A year later I met him and he just... I don't know, decided that I was his enemy. Flash forward to now and suddenly I'm blamed for all of his shit and my mom takes his side each time." He inhaled heavily and continued, "The other night I had enough. Again. Told him I wasn't doing whatever he asked and that I wasn't gonna be his little bitch anymore. He starting throwing things and yelled at me like he always does. Told me to go for a walk and to come back with respect. Before he raised his fist, I called Marcus and well the rest is history."

I was too shocked to reply. How long has this been happening? I didn't want to push him further. That was already a lot especially from him. He smiled sadly at me.

"Guess you're rethinking that break up plan now."

Not acknowledging what he said I twisted in my seat and grabbed his hand tighter between both of mine.

"Parker, I'm sorry I shouldn't of pushed you like that. Your stepdad has no right to do that to you and your mom should be on your side. I just wish you would've come to me first before the party or at least called."

"Next time Paigey, you'll be the first to know. Besides, that sweater was really comfy I'll have to try it again."

And like that, the mood was lightened once more and it was like a weight had been lifted off of him.

I was still just worried about how fast I was falling.

...

"This...is what we drove almost two hours for?" I questioned, pointing up to the neon sign and feeling extremely confused.

"Nah, it's just the first stop. I'm starving," Parker said, grabbing my hand to pull me into the mom and pop's diner. The bright red booths stood out against the fluorescent lights and the worn down black and white tiles that lined the floor were reminiscent of how long they'd been in business.