Waiting

The next day, Naruto walked in with Ryoko in her large form, her bell jingling every time she walked into the room.

The day was pretty normal. Ryoko got bored at some point and stared at the tiny bug that crawled across the floor. She bent down and sniffed it, automatically placing a face to the smell. For some reason, it smelled a lot like a certain boy in the back of the class.

Eventually, kids started getting called to go to another room, making Ryoko look up. She spotted the blonde slowly start to panic and quickly trotted over to the poor boy.

She took the empty seat beside Naruto and threw it across the room, making a few people shriek.

Ryoko sat next to the boy and leaned down to nuzzle her nose in his cheek.

'There is no need to worry. I know you and I know you're going to do your best and leave no room for regrets. You got this, whiskers.'

"Thanks, Ryo," Naruto whispered in the saber's fur, thankful that his best friend's fur can calm him down in an instant.

"Naruto Uzumaki," Iruka called. Naruto got up, walking up to the door before turning around.

"You coming?" Ryoko wagged her tails happily as she caught up to Naruto with ease in her large form. The two walked into the testing room side by side.

Once they entered, Iruka smiled brightly at the pair.

"Alright, Naruto. All you need to do is make two clones." Naruto nodded his head enthusiastically, his nervousness dissipating since Ryoko was in the room.

The cat, however, wasn't really paying attention to Naruto and Iruka. Instead, she was staring intently at the new man who sat beside the blonde's teacher.

The man in the seat visibly stiffened at the sabercat, pulling at his collar that suddenly felt really tight.

A poof sounded in the room and as it disappeared, a derpy looking Naruto laid on the ground beside the real one.

Ryoko looked at the weird looking Naruto and bent down, sniffing it. The sabercat jumped a little as it loudly poofed away.

The three talked before Naruto sadly walked out of the room with Ryoko following behind him. She glared at Mizuki before turning back to comforting the blonde.

She didn't trust the other teacher at all. Everything about him screamed "dangerous" and "evil" but Ryoko shrugged it off, deciding not to say anything right now.

The sabertooth cat convinced Naruto to go home and just relax for the whole day. They even picked up some ramen to try to lighten Naruto's spirits but it seemed not to do much.

They reached the apartment and silently walked in. Naruto walked in and went straight into his room, shutting his door in Ryoko's face, causing her ears to droop in sadness.

She whined softly before transforming and curling up in front of the door. Silence rang throughout the apartment before knocking could be heard. Naruto made no move to get up until the knocking became more persistent.

He sighed as he opened the door, careful not to step on Ryoko's small form, and walked towards the front door. He opened it and behind it revealed Mizuki sensei.

They talked for a bit before Naruto turned to his best friend, telling her to wait in the apartment while he goes out for a little.

Ryoko didn't trust Mizuki but agreed anyway, knowing that Naruto needed someone of his own kind to talk to.

And so, she waited patiently for Naruto to come back.

And waited.

And waited....

She was told to wait, and wait she shall do.

So she waited some more.

And waited.

Until she felt it.

She felt as if the world just shifted uncomfortably.

Or maybe that was her stomach.

She felt as if something bad was happening and she needed to protect Naruto. She felt that he was in danger.

Her heart clenched as she remembered she couldn't go look for the boy.

He told her to wait here and she always listened to Naruto's wishes.

And like a good pet, she sat her butt back down and hoped he would be fine.

~Flashback~

"Alright, Ryoko, you won't be my pet, you'll be my best friend! I mean, you can do what you want, but just help me when I need it, ok?"

~End of Flashback~

Like an echo in her mind, his words popped up from nowhere, seemingly reminding her of what was important.

Him being safe.

She sprang up and opened the window, dashing out as she immediately transformed into her saber form, fire surrounding her before quickly disappearing.