Calm Down

"Ryoko?" Ino cautiously asked, staring at the stock still creature. Ryoko didn't answer or even hint that she heard what the platinum blonde girl said.

"I-I have to go..." Ryoko mumbled before bolting down the street. Before she could get far though, Asuma caught the cat in his arms.

"Ryoko, calm down-"

"No! I have to protect him!" The two-tailed cat thrashed in the jonin's arms, desperately trying to leave his hold.

"You can't leave the village, Ryoko. Remember what you promised Naruto!" The cat continued to fight against his grip, snapping her jaws and clawing his arms.

"What good is the promise if he's dead! I can't let him die! I'd rather die than live knowing that I could've done something! Please, Asuma, you have to let me go!"

Asuma sighed heavily as the sound of hurried footsteps, most likely his team, running towards them.

"Asuma sensei, what's wrong with Ryoko?" Choji asked, looking a little scared of the two-tailed cat. However, the jonin focused his attention on Ryoko, only sparing a glance towards the three students.

"Ryoko, you have to calm down and trust in Naruto to make it back home safely. He trusts you wholeheartedly, you have to do the same for him."

"Let me go! I need to save him, he's bleeding and he could die! I need to help him-"

"Ryoko!" Asuma yelled. The cat's ears twitched slightly, showing that she's listening. She lessened her movements, only jerking a little after a few seconds. "You need to relax and tell me what you're sensing."

"T-There's his blood and h-his fear and he- he's not moving. He's feeling a lot of emotion and, Asuma, he could be in trouble..."

"That might be true, but can you listen or smell Kakashi? You know how Kakashi smells right?"

The cat paused and sniffed the air, no longer completely focused on getting out of Asuma's arms.

"Yeah, Kakashi i-is there. So is S-Sakura and Sasuke and Tazuna..." Asuma took a deep breath and exhaled quietly.

"Ok, that's good. I don't know Naruto's teammates very well, but I know Kakashi. Kakashi would never let someone on his team die. I trust Kakashi and I know he'll keep your friend safe, ok?"

The two-tailed cat stayed silent, hanging limply in the jonin's arms. Asuma's team, who seemed to have been forgotten, stood silently, watching the exchange. Ryoko whimpered, muttering a 'please'.

"Nothing bad is going to happen to Naruto, Ryoko. Kakashi will do everything in his power to get them all home."

Asuma took the cat's silence as an answer and began walking away from the gates. The four started towards the Hokage's office to report their latest mission as completed. Every once in a while Asuma would glance at Ryoko in worry and concern.