Chapter Twenty: Captain Marvel

SPOILERS FOR CAPTAIN MARVEL! It was an amazing Marvel movie, so I highly recommend watching it!

~~~

So long. Almost a year since the snap. It's March now, and the snap happened in April. Everything has been so... quiet. Occasionally the remaining Avengers and I go out to look for survivors and possibly help them. We scavenged around New York because I told them that's where Fury dusted. We found the pager, but that's it. Now all we can do is wait.

I've been having nightmares, and they just keep getting more frequent. It's like they upped their intensity as well because I always wake up in a cold sweat whenever I have one. I haven't told the Avengers about them though, because they haven't been important.

My dreams have been twisted versions of my visions of Ant-Man and the Wasp and Venom. I know they're not real, but they are sure enough to chill me to the bone. I can't even describe them because they are just so warped.

My powers? Oh, I still have them, but sometimes they get out of control. I've tried to use each power individually, but I can barely contain it. I have made a conclusion however, that my powers are only fragments of what the Infinity Stones can do.

In other words, I can't snap like Thanos did. I can only reverse time three hours and I have flashes that seem to be visions of the near future. The Power Stone's powers seem to be the most useful in a fight, but I can't destroy a whole planet like the Stone can. I realized my Space portals can only open across half of a solar system. So I can't even reach across all eight planets in our system. Reality takes a lot of energy, and I find no use of it other than to help comfort myself after a nightmare. Sometimes I forge a fake Hazel to talk to, even though I know she's gone. Soul is kind of useless as well. I can tell what others are feeling when I get close, kind of like Mantis. And then Mind... is weird. Nothing has really happened for Mind yet, and I haven't been able to work it.

I sigh, now not wanting to go to sleep. Whenever I think about Thanos or the Stones, there's a guaranteed nightmare waiting for me. The rain drips softly outside my window, and it eases my mind. Somehow, my eyes get heavy and my limbs fall limp as I drift off.

BOOM!

There is a loud explosion and everything is blurry. There is dust in my eyes and lungs, and I try to blink it away while I cough. When the area around me clears up, I see a funny looking man with pointy ears take out a space gun and point it at someone.

Wait, was that a Skrull?!

It was a dream. There is a girl named Carol, but she goes by Vers. She's on the planet Hala, which is inhabited by Kree. She goes to her commander Yon-Rogg and they have a training session. Carol loses control of her powers, so she is sent to the Supreme Intelligence.

Carol and the Star Force go on a mission to rescue a spy. However, the spy turns out to be a Skrull named Talos, and it's his goal to kidnap Carol. See, she has an energy source signature similar to the thing Talos is looking for, so he thinks she holds the answer.

Carol breaks free and crashes on Planet C-53, otherwise known as Earth. It's 1995, meaning Captain America is trapped in ice while the other heroes haven't even gone through their own stories yet.

Carol meets Nick Fury and with his help, they find out about Wendy Larson. Apparently, Wendy is an undercover Kree who was able to build a light speed engine, and that's what the Skrulls are after. Carol finds evidence that she had a life here on Earth, so they find Maria, her old friend, to get answers.

Talos follows the pair to Maria's house, and they have a discussion. Carol finally finds out that Yon-Rogg is the one who killed Wendy. Carol blew up the engine and get her powers from the explosion.

Nick, Carol, Maria, and Talos go into Space to find the Tesseract, which was the object that Wendy used to make the engine. Talos finds his family there as well. After a long, epic battle with the Kree Star Force, Carol's team reigns triumphant, and she sends Yon-Rogg back home to tell Ronan she's done with the lies.

Carol upgrades Nick's pager so he can call her from a few galaxies away. She takes up the responsibility of leading the Skrulls to a new home, and that night leaves Earth to start her mission. She leaves the Tesseract in his care along with the alien cat, so it can start the events of Avengers.

The status of any of the Kree or Skrulls is unknown.

The status of Maria or Monica, who is Maria's daughter, is unknown.

For some reason... there was no post-credit scene.

"Wake up!"

"AH!" My (h/c) hair sticking to my face, I shiver as I quickly sit up. Once my eyes settle down, I can see Rhodes in front of me with a worried expression.

"That's it, just breathe. You're back now." Rhodes rubs my back, helping my breathing pattern return to normal.

For some reason, my throat is dry and sore when I try to speak. "I-I saw Captain M-Marvel! I s-saw her story, b-but I don't know if s-she is coming."

I feel something wet fall down my face and some of it runs into my mouth. I taste the familiar salty liquid and recognize it as tears. I'm so sick of dreams, nightmares, and visions. I just want them to stop! Rhodes manages to sit next to me and holds me close, rocking back and forth in a comforting manner.

"I-I'm sorry I disturb you with m-my nightmares." My guilt starts to build up, but then drops almost immediately when Rhodes shushes me again.

"It's alright. I completely understand. Nothing will hurt you while we are here. As long as there is one Avenger left standing."

This calms me down completely just in time for the door to open. Rocket and Bruce stand there, which I have to say is quite the unlikely duo.

"Come on you two. None of us can sleep, so we thought of an idea." Rocket gestures for us to follow him.

Rhodes shifts in his spot and pats my head as he explains, "Another vision. About who was on Nick Fury's pager."

"You can tell us about it in the morning, (Y/n)." Bruce helps me up and the four of us make our way out to the main living room. When we get there, I almost cry out of happiness. Many sleeping bags are set up, and Steve and Natasha are in their pajamas waiting for us.

I make myself comfortable in the middle of the group, because they insisted I lay there. We all snuggle close as if we are the only family we have left. Even Rocket's tiny fingers wrap around Rhodes' thumb. With this small group protecting me, I have a dreamless sleep for the rest of the night.