Chapter Twenty-Four: I Love You Three Thousand

What's your favorite number? Mine is 3000 ;)

~~~

You'd think that riding in a car with three of my biggest idols would be fun and full of conversation, right? No, that's completely wrong. The atmosphere was tense, but I guess I'm used to it. The atmosphere of the universe has been tense for five plus years.

I never really wondered where Tony Stark lived for all this time. Didn't really have the chance to think about it. After Thanos was killed, he healed up back at headquarters and left with Pepper. The Avengers and I give him his space, but now I can't stop the flow of questions. What has he been doing? I haven't seen any sign of Iron Man for so long.

To my surprise, Steve drives up to a small, quiet, wooded area. I can feel my heartbeat quicken as my mind rushes with all possible scenarios in which we will find Tony. Has he been fighting bad guys in the forest? If he's been having trouble, why hasn't he called us to help him?

A small, delicate cottage sits in the middle of a clearing. I feel at a loss of words as Steve parks the car and gets out of the driver's seat. I smooth my jeans out nervously as everyone else exits the car. Right when I step out and close the door behind me, I almost faint.

Tony Stark is holding a girl. A girl. A small girl, no older than five, that looks exactly like him. I feel like I've been punched in the chest. Tony Stark's character development has basically completed its course. He started off as a selfish, rich playboy, and now has humbled himself into living in a small, forest house away from fame. And, he found stability in a family.

But what about his other family? Has he forgotten about Peter Parker?

Tony and Steve make eye contact, which I have to say is kind of awkward. Tony clumsily looks away before heading back into his house, the girl in his arms. Steve leads us to the steps of Tony's home.

Right when we get to the door, Tony opens it and steps outside. He gestures to the many chairs that line his front porch. "You guys look tired. Please, sit."

Slowly, myself, Scott, and Natasha lower ourselves into chairs. Steve leaves himself standing and leans on the porch's fence. Tony fidgets before saying, "I'm making some iced coffee. Hold on a second."

I watch as Tony enters his house again, clearly agitated. None of us say anything until he comes back out, carrying a platter of glasses and a pitcher holding the beverage. We each take a cup and Tony pours us some coffee.

"Thanks, Mr. Stark," I say as Tony pours liquid into my glass. I probably shouldn't have said that, as that is what Peter always called him.

Tony almost spills the rest of the coffee, but catches himself. "No problem, kiddo. So, what has brought you all over to my humble abode?"

Still has his playful attitude, I see. Scott is the one that mostly talks and explains his time in the Quantum Realm. I tell Tony how I found the van and started up the tunnel for Scott to come out. Natasha takes over to explain the plan, and asks if it could work.

"Messing with Quantum Physics goes against Planck's constant in the Quantum Theory. Can we agree on that?" Tony says and takes a sip out of his glass. He makes eye contact with Steve. "It means you're not coming back."

"I did." Scott points out, trying to prove the argument even further.

"No." Tony shakes his head, knowing where this is going. He knows the team is here to ask him to build a navigation device to help them travel through the Quantum Realm. "You were a microscopic accident that happened to survive."