Chapter seventeen: More than my own life

We've been here in Colorado for maybe two days now. Everyone never asked about why Renesmee was bigger since the last time they've seen her.

Renesmee loved her cousin but she was more staying close to me cause she was afraid to hurt one of them.

My baby is so sweet and caring.

All the adults kept taking turns playing with her since they have fallen in love with her just like the vampires at home.

Today I was going to meet with this J.Jenks that Alice had left for me to do. My only problem was getting away from Bruno. We've been staying close to one another since...it might be the end...

I shake the thought out of my head and looked at Presley.

Who I was ignoring talking about having another baby with her husband.

"I'm so excited to be trying again. Do you think you and Bruno will have another one, you guys make beautiful children.", she asks and gestures towards Renesmee who was playing by herself..again

I chuckled and then the thought saddens me...not being able to carry another child.

"Maybe, we've haven't talk about it", I sighed

She nods. "Wanna go shopping later?", she asks

I looked outside at the cloudy day coming to an end.

"Yeah, when I get back. I have to go pick up Renesmee gift", I say

"Oh, you would go soon. Before the stores close"

I nodded, I got up and went to the room we were staying in. I take off the leggings and sweater I was wearing and slipped on a black long sleeve dress, a pair of black pantyhose, and black red bottoms. I brushed my hair and made my way down to the garage.

Before I got into the car I hear the door open. I sniffed the air and it was Bruno.

"I'll be back", I assured

"Where are you going?", he asks

I turned to him.

"Do my last minute Christmas shopping. I'm just picking it up", I lie

He nods, he walks up to me, and kisses me.

"Hurry back", he says

"I will"

I be into the car and sped out of the driveway onto the highway.

I haven't really thought about Christmas we had bought things for her like clothes and some toys. The toys were for shows cause I knew they wouldn't entertain her. But after the meeting with J I'll swing by somewhere to give her something that she can have forever.

Alice's note gave me a new sense of hope. Maybe she had a plan for us after all. And maybe J. Jenks was the key.

I drive into town and park up outside a restaurant before going inside.

"I'm meeting a Mr Jenks," I tell the maitre d'.

"Right this way," he says before leading me to a table with a dark chocolate skinned, heavily built man, wearing glasses is sitting with a glass in his hand.

He stands when I walk in.

"Mrs Cullen," he addresses me as we shake hands.

"Hi!"

"I'm so happy you called."

He points to the empty chair and then helps me sit down before sitting down himself.

"I always meet my private clients here. It's more comfortable than the office."

I looked around "And it's more public."

"Ah," he chuckles.

"So what type of work do you do, J?"

"Oh, you know, this and that. It's always different, which keeps it interesting."

"Have you known Alice and Jasper long?"

"I've been working with them for more than 20 years. And my late partner knew Jasper 15 years before that. He is, uh, usually well-preserved."

I bite my lip "Yes, he is."

"I trust that Mr Jasper is enjoying his vacation."

I gasped."He didn't tell you where he was going, did he?", I ask eagerly

"No, no, no, he just mentioned that he was leaving when he came by to place his order."

"I assume that his order is ready?"

"Of course. I've never been late with a delivery."

He slides a brown envelope out from under his napkin and slides it towards me.

I remove two passports and two plane tickets. I open the passports to show Jake and Renesmee's photos but with the names Jacob and Vanessa Wolfe.

I realise then that Alice had never intended on me running away with my daughter.

"There a problem?" J asks.

"No. My husband and I thought that we'd all be travelling together."

"Jasper said only two were travelling. His instructions were very clear."

"It's my mistake."

I put the contents back in the envelope.

"Apparently, that's not going to happen."

Sadness washes over me at the thought of Jake having to run away with my daughter.

"Thank you I must be getting back home", I say

"To calm my nerves...you're not going to be kidnapping this child?", he asks

I chuckled. "No I wouldn't", I say

I leave the restaurant quickly, as I walk I notice an antique store, and I walked in. I looked around at the antique that were surrounding all were beautiful. But I then notice something in the corner of my eye.

I turn to see a locket. It was silver with an engraved saying on it. I pick it and held up closer.

"That's a beautiful one", I hear

I turn to see an old lady with a pair of glasses smiling at me.

"It is", I agreed

"That says plus que ma propre vie it mean more than my own life", she says

This was perfect.

"How much for it?", I ask

"90 for it and if you want me to put a picture in it it'll be 100", she says

I nodded.

***

I drove home very anxious to see my family. I just wanted to hug my daughter tightly knowing she wouldn't be leaving me...now.

I made it to the house and I stuff the envelope into my purse.

I make my way to into the house and I can smell the food that was being made and the kids running around. I went upstairs to my room to see Bruno changing Renesmee.

"Mommy", she says

I smiled at her. Bruno looks at me and smiles and sits her down.

She jumps into my arms and I hugged her tightly not wanting to let her go. I kissed her head multiple times.

I looked at Bruno and he kisses my lips then caresses my head.

Alice's vision was clear. Renesmee would have a future. But Bruno and I wouldn't be a part of it.