Chapter Twenty: Always

It's the night  before New Years Eve and I'm in the tent with Renesmee. Outside, I watch Jake carry a pile of logs and drop them before Benjamin lights up his forefinger. Jake stares at him.

Benjamin then lights up all his fingers and grins before throwing the flames at the pile of logs.

"That's what I'm talking about," Jake says.

He sits down with Benjamin and Tia.

"A little pre-battle bonfire. Telling war stories."

He looks across the way and I see Senna and Zafrina just standing there.

"Or just standing there like frickin' statues," Jake continues.

Garrett speeds over to one of the logs.

"Name any American battle," he says. "I was there."

"Little Bighorn," Jake says.

"I came this close to biting Custer. But the Indians got him first."

Kate speeds onto his knee.

"Try Oleg's assault on Constantinople," she says. "He didn't win that one on his own."

Liam appears.

"If you're talking battles," he says. "You're talking the Eleven Years' War. No one does rebellion like the Irish."

"You lost the Eleven Years' War," Garrett says.

"Aye. But it was one hell of a rebellion."

Garrett grins and points at the Irishman.

Once everyone is sitting round the bonfire, Vladimir begins a story.

"When we ruled, everything came to us. Prey, diplomats, favor seekers. Such was our power. But we never put on white hats and called ourselves saints," he begins.

"We were honest about what we were," Stefan continues.

"We sat still for a very long time," Vladimir continues. "We didn't notice we were beginning to petrify."

"Perhaps the Volturi did us a favor when they burned our castles," Stefan tells us.

"We've been waiting, 1,500 years to return that favor," Vladimir says.

I turn my attention to Edward and Bruno, closer to the tent than the others, and Carlisle moves beside them.

"I can't help thinking," Bruno begins. "All these people are putting themselves in danger because I fell in love with a princess."

"You found your mate," Carlisle assures him. "You deserve to be happy."

"But as what cost? Why do people have to die in order to save the ones I love?"

"Everyone here has something to fight forI certainly do."

"Thank you for letting me have her", Bruno says

I watch Carlisle touch his shoulder in approval. Bruno then turns in my direction and smiles

"Bella, I've haven't thanked you. For this extraordinary life."

I smile at him before I decide to talk to my daughter.

I looked and saw her fiddling with her locket."You never told me if you liked you locket", I say

She touches it and she smiles at me.

She then opens it to find a picture of me and Bruno inside she then touches the script.

"This means: 'More than my own life,'" I say as I point to the phrase. "That's how much I love you. Tomorrow I'm gonna need you to stay with Jacob. No matter what. Even if I tell him that... that he has to take you somewhere."

She looks upset and taken aback.

"Why?"

"Because if anything happen to me and daddy he'll take care of you"

"Hey."

She starts crying so I pull her close.

"Baby, it's alright. You're gonna be safe. Always."

The following day I waited for my daughter to wake. I got her dressed and put on the necklace that Aro had gotten me...I held her in my arms and we all make our way to the clearing in our family groups.

"Renesmee, I will always love you Okay", Bruno says to her

"Yes Daddy"

Bruno kisses her head and me. Edward joined us at the front. Slightly behind, to the left is Carlisle and Esme; and to the right is Emmett and Rosalie. Behind again are the Denali coven, now joined by Garrett; Senna and Zafrina; the Egyptians; and the nomads. Back again, the Romanians, and the Irish.

I watch the other side of the field, waiting for the Volturi to make an appearance. I don't have to wait long but I didn't expect as many as there were.

They have formed a line and continue to walk toward us making them walked Irina.

"Aro's looking for Alice," Bruno informs me

"He's worried now...the wolves are approaching", Edward mumbles

There's howling behind us and I turn to see the wolves coming out of the woods Jake joins us at the front.

The Volturi stop a few feet away and I can see they are surprised by the new arrivals.

Aro lowers his hood so most of the Volturi do as well.

We all stared at each other for a moment  before Carlisle moves forward.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to. In a civilized manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place, given the battalion you've assembled against us."

I gasped and grabbed Bruno's hand.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken."

"We see the child," Caius says. "Do not treat us a fools."

"She is not an immortal," Carlisle shouts. "These witnesses to attest to that. Or you can look. See the flesh of human blood in her cheeks."

"Artifice!" Caius shouts.

Bruno let's out a growl.

"I will collect every facet of the truth," Aro says. "But from someone more central to the story. Edward, as the child there clings to your newborn sister, I am going to assume you are involved."

He holds out his hand and takes a couple of steps forward. Edward strokes his niece hair and looks at me before he approaches Aro. I try sending my shield over my brother but it doesn't work.

Edward allows Aro to take his hand for a minute before looking a Renesmee with fascination, Edward removes his hand.

"I'd like to meet her...your niece."

Edward turns slowly and I see the anguish on his face. Bruno growls, I looked at him and he nods towards them, so I look at my little girl before the three of us start towards the most dangerous vampires in history.

I stop and turn to Jacob, then wait until he's close enough before we continue.

Aro looks at Bruno with curiosity before his smile grows at me.

"Ah," Aro says. "Young Bella. Immortality becomes you."