P R O L O U G E

His lips graced my skin once again as we stood looking over the firefall that falls into the center of the kingdom reminding everyone that lives under his rule that we no longer stand in the human world; we are no longer human. My body hums as moves closer to me from behind, my captor, the man who claims to love me. 

"Are you coming to bed firefly?" He says to me and lays his hands on my waist and looks over the city that is directly under us. 

"I want to look out for a little longer if that is alright?" I mumble hoping that he heard me anyways, I wasn't ready to walk into that bedroom, and I don't think I ever would be. 

"Of course, I'll be getting ready for bed, come in whenever you are ready." He says confidently and walks away leaving my waist cold something for which I am grateful. I can only fake it for so long. 

The warmth that forever lingers in the air, never burning the skin, but always reminding about what is around us. I force air into my lungs and feel the warmth in my lungs something that I am not used to. He stands in the room watching me even though he said he was getting ready for bed. He is worried about me, about me jumping. I have contemplated it I will admit, but he would stop me before I fell even two feet. I was stuck, and no one could save me. 

His presence is demanding no matter where we are, but right now I could sense everything about him, and I try to suppress the unwanted feelings that curl right under my skin.

"Firefly? About done?" He calls out and I release my hand from the guard rail not even realizing that as I looked at the lights that covered the shining city or the falling fire that my subconscious was thinking about how nice it would be... how relieving it would be... to just fall. 

I take a step back and wrap my hands together turning around to a fully clothed unchanged man and node once. I could see the fear in his eyes that I would, he knows if he gave me the chance... 

Taking small steps, I walk back into the room, he shuts the doors behind me and locks them slipping the key around his tattooed neck. My chance of relief goes away as quickly as it came, and I simply stood looking at him as he went to change. I wasn't ready for this, but I had to survive.