/chapter two/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 2

Melissa

The new guy on set, Chris, is really nice and super talented. I hope that he stays on the show for at least a few years.

He had a kid with him, which is different. Usually if people have kids, they don't bring them on set. A wonder if his wife or girlfriend is an actress too? Or maybe she's not in the picture?I know, it's not my business to be bubbling in.

I wonder if Chris is a good listener, if he sits up all night listening to his daughters stories before she finally falls asleep, because Blake, my husband kept texting me while I was at set to see when I'll be home. I told him multiple times the day before that I'd be home late, around 10pm. But apparently he didn't bother to hear me.

As usual, I woke up before him this morning.

"Hey," he said when he came out of the bedroom. "What's—"
"What's for breakfast?" I say, cutting him off. "Is that what you're about to say?"
He walked over and kissed me lightly on the side of my neck. "You're so smart."
I thought about rolling my eyes after he turned around, but it never happened.

He wandered over to the kitchen and opened the fridge. "Are you going to work today?"
"Yeah," I said. "Later."
"When later?" he asked. "I want to have some friends over."
"Like 2pm?" I told him.
"Okay," he said, taking the milk out and setting it on the counter. Cereal I guess.

When 1:30 p.m. rolls around, I decide to head to set. I read over the script in my trailer while I wait for them to call me to hair and makeup.

When they do, I step out of my trailer just as Chris is passing to go to hair and makeup as well.
"Hey," he says, smiling in my direction.
"Hi," I say as I step of the stairs on my trailer:
The little girl hides behind his leg.

"Melissa, this is my daughter, Nya," Chris introduces me to the little girl.
"Hi, Nya," I say, waving lightly.

Chris smiles at his daughter. "Are you going to hair and makeup?"
"Uh, yeah. Are you?" I ask.
"Yes. I am."

We walk to the trailer together.

Chris

Nya's biological mom and I text occasionally, but I try not to accidentally run into her.

When she gave birth to Nya, she had her eyes closed, not wanting to accidentally see the baby. The second Nya was born, they took her out of the room so her biological mom couldn't see her.

That wasn't my choice, of course. I wish Nya's mom was in her life, but it was her choice not to see the baby and I respected that. I didn't want to live the rest of my life knowing that I could've been a father.

The first couple days on the set of Supergirl have been good. I've had to bring Nya along everyday, though I wish I could leave her at home so I can focus on my work better.

I've seen Melissa's wedding ring, but her husband hasn't come to set yet while I've been here. You would think maybe he'd like to see her at work. Maybe he's a actor or has a really busy job. I would do research, since you know, the internet probably knows a lot, but I don't want to seem like a stalker. It wouldn't be a great impression.

After set today, I take Nya to the grocery store with me to get stuff for dinner. As usual whenever she sees something she wants, she holds it up and says, "please." And being a single parent and having one child, It's very hard to deny her what she wants, so I allow her one thing every time we go to the store.

We're in the store for maybe thirty seconds before she asks, "please, daddy?"
"Only one thing, Ny."
"Okay," she sighs.

A couple days pass, days I have off. Usually very boring days. Like how today is going so far.

I'm making breakfast in the kitchen while Nya colours a picture in a colouring book when my phone starts ringing. Melissa.

"Hey?" I say when I answer the call.
"Chris?" she asks.
"Yeah, I'm here."
"Hi."
"Hi..."
"Sorry for springing a call on you, I was just wondering if..." she trails off, clearly distracted.

I hear a man's voice on the other end and then she hangs up. Huh.

"Who was that, daddy?" Nya asks.
"Someone from work," I tell her.

Melissa

Apparently I can't do anything in the presence of Blake.

All I wanted to do was call Chris. I wasn't even sure what I wanted to ask him, I just wanted to hear his voice. It's so calm and reassuring. I need that now.

"Who's Chris?" he asks.
"Someone from work!" I say,
"Why were you calling him then?"
"I was going to ask if he wanted to practice lines today since we're not doing anything." Lie.
"Then let's do something," he says, grabbing his coat. "Let's go for coffee."
I freeze for a second, thinking for a way out of this, but there is no way. I grab my coat and head out the door behind him.