/chapter seven/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 7

Melissa

Well now Chris knows about the pregnancy. He was very calm and collected about it from what I saw and he did offer to be there if I needed to talk about it. Also, he told me about his daughters mother. How could it be that out of all people in the world it's Chris that has a story that's close to my own.

It's Sunday. There's no work today, so I've taken it upon myself to relax and work on finishing that book.

I sit down on the couch and grab the book from next to me. When I glance back forward, I notice the small baby bump under the fabric of my shirt. You wouldn't really be able to see it if you weren't looking very hard.

I lift my shirt a little to get a better glimpse at it. I can't help it, but to rest my hand there and look up with a sigh.

"I want you two to have a father, I really do, but it's just not going to work out that way. You're going to be stuck with me. And I'm going to try my best, I really am, but things are going to get difficult sometimes and I hope you'll cooperate with me. I can't wait to meet you both," I whisper to my unborn babies.

Chris

I wish today wasn't a day off. I want to make sure Melissa is okay and not struggling by herself.

I would text her, but I want to make sure I'm not forcing her to talk to me if she doesn't want to.

—the next day—

When I arrive at work I look around cautiously to see if Melissa is here yet. And she's not from what I can see.

"Hey, Chris," Chyler says, surprising me. "Are you...looking for someone?"
"Uh, no..." I say.
"Hmm, okay," she says then turns the other way.

Nya tugs on my hand. "Can we go inside daddy? I'm cold."
"Sure, sure." I open my trailer door and she walks up the stairs.

About thirty minutes later, I get called to hair and makeup. I pick Nya up, her not letting go of the iPad and we walk to the hair and makeup trailer.

Surprisingly, Melissa is sitting right there in the hair and makeup trailer.

"Hey," she says. "How are you today?"
"Uh, good, good," I say. "How are you?"
"The usual." She smiles that charming smile then looks back down at her book.

I sit in the chair next to her. "How's the book?"
"Better, better," she says, not looking up.

I lift Nya up onto my lap as I start getting my hair done for the scene I have to shoot soon.

Melissa

I get a call from my mom while I'm getting in my outfit for the first scene of the day.

I answer the phone. "Hi, mom."
"Melissa! Sweetie, I haven't heard from you in awhile. Is everything okay?"

Why do moms always figure out the truth? I guess my silence towards her suggests that something is up.

"Everything is fine," I say.
"Melissa, I've been your mom for awhile. I know when something is up with you," she says. "You used to call me once every two weeks."

"Fine," I tell her. "No. Everything is not okay. Blake left."
"Oh, Melissa, honey. When did he leave?"
I can't cry. Not now. I have to film a TV show in ten minutes.

"Just over a week ago."
"And you didn't call me? I could've came and been there for you."
"I'm sorry. A lot has been on my mind. I'm on set right now, and I'm pregnant so my hormones are making me super emotional."
"You're what?"
"Pregnant. You heard me."
"I know, I know. Melissa, is that why Blake left?"

"I guess, I mean, I didn't want to have kids right now. I'm in the middle of filming a TV show, I can't be pregnant. So, he got mad at me for not be happy about it when he was the one not happy about it. He didn't want to be a father yet."
"Well, I understand your situation, but you're having the baby?"
"Yeah. Babies."
"Huh?"

"It's twins. I found out on the day he left."
"Okay, and you've decided to have both babies?"
"Yes. Yes I have. I couldn't have lived with myself if I knew I could've been a mother. A mother to twins."
"I get that, I get that, but will you be able to keep your job?"
"I hope so, mom."

There's a knock on my door. "You're up in five, Melissa!"
"Okay! Thank you!" I call back.

"I'll let you go, honey. Call me when you get home, alright?"
"Okay, bye."
"Bye sweetheart."

I set my phone in my bag then head out the door to set.

—later that day—

I've been at home for maybe five minutes when my phone starts ringing.

It's Chris.

"Hey, Chris," I say when I answer the phone call.
"Hey," he says. "I just wanted to call and apologize for earlier. I didn't mean to act so weird. No one has confided in me in awhile and I didn't really know how to react, so I'm sorry."
"It's fine, honestly," I tell him. "I didn't act like myself either."
"Okay, good to know," he says with a little laugh.

"And thank you for telling me about Nya."
I picture him smiling. "Yeah, you know, you share something personal that's weirdly similar to my personal story, I felt that it was appropriate."
I nod, even though he can't see me. "I get it."

"If you want to talk at any time, just call me," he says.
"I will."
"Okay."
"Okay," I say. "Thanks for calling. Talk to you soon."
"Talk to you soon," he repeats, then hangs up.