/chapter three/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 3

September 11th 2016

Melissa

I can't believe this. After these couple months, I've been considering getting a divorce and now I'm pregnant?

I'm—I'm just shocked.

It's a Sunday night. Blake is out with his friends, while I'm sitting on the cold bathroom floor with a pregnancy test in my hands that reads positive.

I can't believe it. This isn't real. There's no possible way.

I slide the test into my drawer and get up to go to bed. I can't dwell on this for too long.

Around one in the morning, Blake stumbles through the front door. I walk out from the bedroom, having not fallen alseep yet.
"Honey!" he groans.
I look over at him from the couch. "Yes?"
"I need you."
"Yeah?"
"Yeah," he repeats.

I stand up from the couch and walk over to him. "Someone has been out."
"You're beautiful," he mumbles as I hold him steadily.
"Yeah?" I ask. "Both of me?"
"Yeah," he groans.

I sit him down on the bed. "You need to get to sleep."
"Do I?"
"Yes."

I don't bother trying to get him to change into his pyjamas, that'll take hours without his cooperation.

The next day, Blake is so hungover that there's no point in trying to tell him the news, he'll just forget the second after I tell him or he won't bother listening to me in the first place.

He trips out of the bedroom around 10 in the morning.
"Hey," he says.
"Good morning."

"Just out of curiosity," he starts. "Why was there a pregnancy test box in your bathroom drawer?"
I turn to face him from the couch. "Uh."
"Are you pregnant?"
I sigh. There's no point in hiding it now. "Yeah."

He comes and sits next to me in the couch. "Melissa, that's-" he stops.
"That's what?" I ask.
"I," he starts. "I don't know. We haven't really talked about starting a family."
"Well I just assumed, that I would happen later, you know, once I was done with my show and stuff."
"So?" he asks.
"I can't be pregnant. Not now."
"Well you are."

That really made him act sober given the time.

I force myself out the door at ten thirty. I don't have work until two, but I can't be at that apartment with Blake any longer.
He's mad about me not being happy with the pregnancy news, when he's not the one that's pregnant.

Chris

Being a single parent is hard.

Nya is currently screaming in the top of her lungs at me because I woke her up at six in the morning so I could take her to set with me. I had no other choice.

"Nya," I whisper. "Calm down. Please."
"Noooooo!" screams at me from her bed.
"Nya..."
"Noooo! I'm not going anywhere."
I bang my head on the frame of her door.
"Nya Anne Wood. Get out of bed now or else I will take you out of bed myself."

She pulls the covers over her face and screams and again.
I take a deep breath and move a few steps towards her.
"No daddy! Noooo!" she yells again.
"Yes, Nya." I push the covers away from her and pick her up.

She starts flailing in my arms, but I hold her tighter as I walk out of the room and down the hall.

Once we get in the car, she calms down a little bit, then after awhile she falls asleep.

"Morning, Chris," David says while I'm on my way to my trailer.
"Good morning," I say, adjusting Nya in my arms.

Melissa

I'm not sure I can go the whole day knowing I'm pregnant and not telling anyone about it.

I've already been on edge and I have only been on set for maybe twenty minutes.

Blake has been calling me for the past hour and a half. He's mad at me for not being happy about the pregnancy, but he's not listening to my side on the story.

This could ruin my job. And I want to keep my job because it keeps me occupied and happy.

"Hey!" Chyler yells from behind me.
I turn and face her. "Yeah?"
"What's up?" she says. "You've been avoiding everyone all day."
"Sorry, I've just been..." I start. "In a mood."

She smiles a half smile. "Yeah, I get that."
"Chyler..."
"Melissa, what is it?" she asks.
I pull her aside. "I'm—I'm pregnant."
Her face lights up. "What? That's great."
I shake my head lightly. "No, I don't think it's that great."
"What? Why?"
"I can't be pregnant," I say, waving my hand around lightly. "I have a job, a job I like and I don't want to loose it now."

"I get that," she says. "But you'll have a beautiful child in the end."
I just shake my head again. "I want to be happy about it, I do, but Blake doesn't have any encouraging words about it and he's my husband."
"Well." She places her hand on my shoulder. "You won't lose your job because you own the show and you'll have this baby. Got it?"
A faint smile touches my lips. "Thank you."
"I'm here, okay?" she says. "If you are feeling like you can't do this, I will tell you you can, because it's the truth."
I pull her in for a hug. "Thank you. So much."
"You're amazing, Melissa. You can do this."