/chapter thirty-eight/

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ CHAPTER 37!!!

A Melwood Story
Chapter 38

Melissa

"No," I say into the phone. "No way."
"Please, Melissa."
I don't say anything for a minute.
"If you do this, I'll leave," Chris says. "I'll leave. You can have full custody of all six kids—"
"What about Nya?" I say.
"You've been her legal guardian for awhile now. She loves you more than she does me."

"So, that's what you want?" I ask.
"No, it's not," he says. "But it's what has to be done. This kid could have a really great life. Become something fantastic."
"Or the kid could be a high school drug dealer and see in the inside of a jail by the time they're fifteen."
"Look on the brighter side, Melissa."

"Let me get this straight, though. You want me to adopt the baby that you accidentally conceived after a trip to get away from your family because you think that the child could be something great."
"Correct."
"What about the mom and her family?" I ask.
"It's like what happened with Nya. Her mom wasn't ready to be a mom and I offered to raise the baby, no strings."
"How old is this woman?"
"Melissa."
"How old!"
"Twenty three."
"Chris..."
"I know, okay."

I rest my hands on my head. I can hear the laughter of my kids below me, downstairs, playing with their grandma. Another smiling face. Another.

"The DNA results said the baby she's carrying is yours?" I ask.
"Yes," he tells me. "I can send you a picture."
"Send it now so I can see."

Two minutes pass when I text comes in.
I click on the picture.
It reads:
biological father: Christopher Charles Wood.
biological mother: Emelie Sarah Weston.

"Fine," I say. "I'll adopt the baby."
He lets go of a breath he's been holding for who knows how long. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."
"Update me when you can about the pregnancy."
"I will. I promise."
"Okay. I have to go now, talk to you later."
"Thank you again—" Chris starts to say, but I hear someone yelling my name, and I realize I'm dreaming.

"Melissa!" A voice yells. "Melissa!"
I wake from my dream to my mom shaking me.
"What is it?" I say, rubbing my eyes to wake myself up.
"It's seven in the morning, but Chris is here and wants to talk to you," she informs me.
"Okay," I say. "I'll be down in five minutes."
"All right." My mom turns and leaves the room, closing the door behind her.

I pull on a sweater and some socks and head down the stairs. Adaline is waiting at the bottom of the stairs.
"Up, mommy!" she says, holding her arms out to me for me to pick her up.
I pull her up into my arms, then go into the kitchen where my mom is. She hands me a cup of tea. "He's waiting on the front porch."
"Okay." I keep Adaline in my arms, grabbing her a toy she can play with while I talk with Chris outside.

I begin to expect the worst as I make my way back towards the stairs where the front door is. What if this Paris woman is actually pregnant with his baby? What does he want to tell me about this early in the morning?

I open the door and turn my head to see that he's sitting on the swing bench I bought just a few months ago.
"Hey," he says.
"Hi," I say. I make my way over to the bench, sitting down a good distance away from him. I rest Adaline on my lap. She plays with her toy.
"Sorry to wake you so early," he says. "I just wanted to tell you as soon as I found out."
"Okay." I take a deep breath. "What did you find out?"
He shakes his head. "She's not pregnant with my baby."
"Well, that's good news right?" I ask. I don't look at him.
"It is." He nods, but he's not smiling. Not frowning either. "It doesn't mean you're going to let me back to live with our family."
"I think Nya wants you back, she just doesn't want anyone to know that," I tell him.
He looks at me. "Do you want me back?"
I don't say anything.

A million memories come into my mind. The trailer on the set of Supergirl. Meeting Nya for the first time. Our first kiss. Our wedding. Sofia's birth. Kaleb's birth. Chris leaving.

"I do," I say. "Of course I do. You're my husband and as much as you've hurt me and our kids, I still love you. Even if it doesn't seem like it. I love you."
He smiles now. "I love you too. And I'm sorry for everything I've done. I shouldn't have left. I should have just realized that this was my life, how it is and how it will always be."

I nod. Adaline throws her toy off my lap. "Do you want to hold her?" I ask Chris.
His eyes go wide. "Really?"
"Really," I say. I look at Adaline. "Do you want your dad to hold you?"
She smiles, putting her hand in her mouth.
"I guess that's a yes," I say. I lift her and Chris takes her, holding her carefully in his arms.
"Hi, Adaline," he whispers to her. "I'm your dad."
Adaline smiles, waving her arms around.
I smile at them. "Do you want to come in? Kaleb should be up soon. My mom has tea and coffee ready."
"Sure," he says.

We make our way back inside. Chris keeps Addy in his arms.

My mom stands abruptly when she sees us come inside. "Chris. Are you staying?"
"Yes," he says.
She sets her book down. "Coffee or tea?"
"Coffee sounds good."
"Great." She walks over to the kitchen.

Chris goes up to get Kaleb when I hear him start to move around.

"What happened?" my mom immediately asks.
"She's not pregnant with his baby," I tell her.
"So he's staying?"
"Yes," I say. "I'm hoping Nya has changed her mind."
"I wouldn't bet on that," my mom says as Chris comes back into the kitchen with a tired Kaleb in his arms.

After the other four wake up and breakfast has been served, I go to make a call.

"It's been awhile," my manager says when she answers the call.
"Yes, I know and I'm sorry," I tell her. "But I'm ready to start working again."
"Great!" she exclaims. "I've had some calls asking for you recently, so I'll check if those jobs are still available..."

—that night—

I go to tuck all the kids in. Hoping to get their opinions on their father being back in the house.

First, Nya and Lulu.

"Okay, girls, time to get in bed," I say when I open their bedroom door.
They scramble up to their beds.

"What do you guys think about your dad being back here?" I tuck their blankets in, then sit on the edge of Nya's bed.
"I'm so happy!" Lulu exclaims.
"Me too," says Nya.
"What made you change your mind?" I ask Nya.
"Lulu and Max," she says. "They just love him so much. They trust him, so do I."
"I love you," I whisper to Nya, kissing her forehead.
"I love you too," she says.

I stand up. "Okay, you girls get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning. I love you both."
I kiss both of them on their foreheads, then leave the room, immediate chatter starting when I close the door.

Next is Max and Kaleb's room. I know Max will probably be the only one to have more of an opinion.

"Time for bed, boys," I say when I open the door.
"Shhh," Max whispers, index finger pressed to his lips. "Kaleb is sleeping."
"Okay, bud," I whisper.

I kiss Kaleb on the forehead lightly, then sit on the edge of Max's bed.

"How do you feel about dad being back here?" I ask him.
"I don't mind," he says. "Is he staying?"
"Most likely."
"I don't want him to hurt Lulu, though. She just loves him so much," he explains.
"He won't be leaving anytime soon," I assure him.
"Okay." He closes his eyes for a few seconds.

"I love you, Max," I kiss him on the top of his head.
"I love you too," he says, his eyes still closed.
I get up and head towards the door. "Good night, sleep well."
"You too," he says.

I go to Sofia and Adaline's room, knowing they both are probably already asleep.
And I was right, sound asleep.

"Goodnight, girls," I say, closing the door again.