/chapter twenty-three/

A Melwood Story
Chapter 23

Melissa

Today is the first ultrasound of the baby. And since I'm seventeen weeks, we might be able to see if we're having a boy or girl.

"Hey," Chris says as he enters the kitchen, looking down at his phone. "I was thinking, with the ultrasound today, and that we might be able to see if it's a boy or a girl, maybe we could keep it a surprise until the baby is born?"
I look up from cutting the sandwich I made for Max in half. "You don't want to know?"
"No, I do," he says. "I do, I just think it would be interesting if we waited until he or she is born."
I put the sandwich in a container, then slide it inside Max's lunch box. "Fine. We can wait."

"Really?" he asks, like I wouldn't agree.
"Yes," I say.
"Thank you," he says, kissing my neck lightly.

"Now change the subject before I change my mind."
"Okay. Uh, did you make those brownies for Nya's class party today?" he asks.
"Uh, yeah," I say, turning to point at a container on the other side of the kitchen. "They're over there."

"Great," he says. "I'll take the kids to school, you rest. When's the last time you slept?"
"I slept last night," I tell him.
"For like five minutes before you got up because you were uncomfortable."
"Okay, fine. But I can't promise that I'll sleep any better now."
"You will if you let yourself."

"You're going to make the kids late," I point out.
He glances at the time quickly, then grabs the lunch boxes and goes to get the kids in the car.

I spend thirty minutes trying to sleep before I give up and go to get ready for work, which isn't for another two hours, then the ultrasound, which is in six hours.

I get in the car, knowing Chris will be mad when he gets home and I'm not there. Then, surprisingly, on my way down the street I pass Chris in the van, who is heading back to the house.

He calls me almost immediately. "Melissa. Where are you going?"
"To work," I tell him.
"Work?" he asks. "That's not for another couple hours. Come home. You need to sleep."
"I tried, okay? I tried. I just can't sleep. I know I'm growing a human inside me and I know that need to sleep, but I feel better when I'm up doing things. Trust me. I'm fine."
"You're going to pass out from exhaustion or something if you don't rest."
"I know, and I'll be okay. I'll see you soon."
"Be careful," he says. "I love you."
"I love you, too," I say, then hang up.

Chris

I take an uber go to the Supergirl set to meet Melissa before the doctors appointment.

I see Melissa leaning against her trailer in wardrobe for the scene she probably just finished.

"Chris?" she asks when she sees me. "What are you doing here?"
"Just wanted to come visit before the appointment. How are you feeling?"
"Fine. Tired, but fine."

Chyler comes up to us. "Hey, Chris. We miss you on set. How's it going?"
"Good, good. I'm just trying to convince Melissa to sleep."
She turns to face Melissa. "You're not sleeping?"

Melissa rolls her eyes a little. "I just can't sleep. If I could, trust me, I would."
"Sorry I'm not much help, I slept fine with all three of my kids," Chyler says.
"It's okay," Melissa says.
Chyler waves goodbye and continues down to her trailer.

"Are you done for the day?" I ask.
"Yeah," she says. "I was just about to change."
"Okay. I'll wait in the car."
She nods, then turns and opens her trailer door.

We head to the doctors twenty five minutes before the appointment starts.

"Everything looks good," the ultrasound tech tells us. "Would you like to know the gender?"
I look at Melissa.
"No, we've decided to keep it a surprise until the baby is born," Melissa says.
"Sounds good."

She hands Melissa a wipe and she cleans off her bump.
"I could have known if I'm carrying a boy or a girl right now," Melissa says.
"You agreed to wait."
"I know, but for the next baby we're finding out as soon as possible."
"Okay, for the next one," I say.
"Okay," she repeats.

Once we're in the car, to go back to the house to get the van so we can pick up the kids, Melissa starts discussing names.

"What name were you going to name Nya if she were a boy?" she asks.
"I don't know. I only had a girl name picked out and she happened to be a girl," I tell her. "How'd you pick Eloise and Maxwell?"
She punches my shoulder lightly. "You basically named them."
"I did not!" I argue. "I merely gave you suggestions and you went with them."
"Same thing."

"Then why did you choose them out of my suggestions?" I ask.
"Because they sound good together, I guess. But, I always wanted a daughter I could call Lulu."
"Huh."
"What?" she asks.
"Nothing," I smile.

We get the van and drive to the kids school.

"Who will get to the car first?" I ask.
"Lulu," Melissa replies.
"I say Max."

Sure enough, Lulu is the first one to get to the car.

"Where's your brother?" Melissa asks.
"He's with his friend," Lulu says.

Melissa looks over at me. Max has a friend. Is what we're both thinking.

Nya gets in the car next, Max in her grip.

"Nya Anne, let go of your brother," I say.
"At least I got him here, he wouldn't stop talking about stupid stuff with his friend," Nya says.
"Mommy!" Max whines.

"It's okay, Max," Melissa says, rubbing Max's leg lightly.
"We could've waited for him, Nya," I say.
Nya sits in her seat and buckles her seat belt without another word.